We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold mines

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Gold mines

Hi everybody

We’re driving from Fairfield to Yosemite View Lodge (EL Portal) on Friday 9th May 2014.We plan to stop at Angels Camp, Columbia and also take a tour of a mine. We have read about some gold mines in other people’s postings ( the posts do all seem to be quite old) but after doing more research on their websites, they are either closed or only open at the weekend.

Gold Cliff….closed, Sutter………..closed, Kennedy……Only open Saturday & Sunday. We read you can take a tour of a mine at Columbia State Park, but there’s no mention of a gold mine on their website. It only says you can pan for gold. Does anyone have any suggestions of a gold mine near Angels Camp or somewhere else on route?

Also can anyone suggest a good route to drive? and by a good route I don’t necessarily mean the quickest.

Thanking everybody in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,426 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gold mines

That would be me. We were there in February and the town was essentially totally *shut*.

Here is my review (3rd on the page) and I called it just like we saw it:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 21 October 2013, 06:10
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Gold mines

Half-Brit -- I read your review of Columbia State Park. Thank you! It is quite unfortunate that your visit in February of 2011 was less than you expected.

It is true, January and some days into February are quiet in the area which is probably the best and only good time to bury pipe in the ground as was happening when you visited. Also, a few years ago -- probably around 2010 and 2011 at the time you visited, there were some lovely old trees lining one of the main streets that had to be cut down all the way to the ground due to insects. To add insult to injury, the Columbia Museum was being renovated about that same time and was cordoned off. Also, the City Hotel, the Fallon Hotel and the Fallon Hotel Ice Cream Parlor were closed tight for several months or for perhaps a year because it was in-between concessionaire management. Briggs Hospitality took over the management shortly, and things are going full steam forward, including the Victorian Christmas Feast dinners for several nights each December.

What I found especially interesting in your review of Columbia State Park are your comments on the several streets closed to traffic -- which reminds me that each and every time I would suggest to my B&B guests to visit Columbia, I would always tell them -- always -- that many streets "are open to horse and pedestrian traffic only," (quote/unquote), I'd tell them where to park (parking lots can be found around the perimeter of the village), how to find the front door to the City Hotel (the parking lot is in the rear of the hotel), and that the town goes dark at night because there was no electricity or street lights in the 1800s. (Some of these restrictions are mandated by the State of California.)

It's quite unfortunate that your visit was less than it could have been. However, your review provides invaluable information on several things that can be done to enhance the guest experience when the village is "closed." I have some contacts in Columbia and also at the county Visitor's Bureau -- and I am now retired, so I have the T-I-M-E to get involved!

Copper JackRabbit

P.S. After I wrote my remarks in Post #10, I thought I should have mentioned that the month of January is really slow in Columbia, and in the Sonora area. Things, generally speaking, start ramping up in early February when the theatre productions start their annual calander and the wineries start their wine events. I was still in the hospitality business in Sonora when you visited the area back in early 2011. Honestly, and I do mean honestly, I never felt the mortgage meltdown, the banks collapsing or the recession, however, I most certainly tweaked my business plan and upped the ante on my marketing!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,426 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gold mines

Thanks for your comments and next time we're in the area we'll give it another go. We both thought it looked as if it had potential so glad it hasn't died on the vine :-)

Reply to: Gold mines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Angels Camp
More Angels Camp Topics