We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

I'm taking my 2 children to LA from 26th November to 5th December, with the currently plan being to stay in Anaheim from 1st to the 5th December, and spend those 4 days at DL and CA. The kids are 10yo girl and (will be nearly by then) 8yo boy. The 10yo is fairly adventurous, although doesn't like heights, and the 7/8yo gets scared very easily. I've done a lot of reviewing of the rides and I know that there will be rides that one of the kids will want to go on, and the other won't. I don't want the kids to miss out on opportunities to enjoy themselves (long way to travel to say "no" to them!) so I'm looking for advice on how/where/if there are any opportunities for me to SAFELY leave one child to be with the other on a ride?

california
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Personally, now this is just my opinion, but I don't really think a child under the age of 16 should be without adult supervision at a busy theme park. But I'm an extremely over protective mom of a 2.5 year old. Maybe I'll feel differently when she's older but I doubt it.

I wonder if Disney has a policy of what age can be left unattended. I bet the experts will weigh in and tell you.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Hi honeymooner09, I may have not made myself clear, but I had NO intention of EVER leaving my children alone for the sake of an amusement ride! My question was whether there is any formal child minding service, or trusted staff service that can mind a child in a safe restricted area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

There is no child minding service like you described at the parks , though if you tell us what rides may concern your kids, we may be able to let you know more about them.

Most of the scarier rides that your 8 year old will not want to ride , also will involve heights so you may find your 10 year old will not want to go on them either

Tower of Terror

California Screaming ,

Goofy Sky School

Soaring over California

all have heights

The Haunted Mansion may sound scary , but in my opion is not and all 3 of you can ride the doom buggy's together so you kids will be with you.

Also on the Indiana Jones ride you will be seated all together if he feels scared.

Possibly Splash Mountain , Big Thunder and the Matterhorn will be rides your 8 year old will not like , but your 10 year old may not like the heights of the Matterhorn and Splash Mountain either.

Star Tours is one the you all could enjoy , though Space Mountain may be to much for your 8 year old

Edited: 23 August 2013, 23:29
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Welcome to the forums AnywhoHelly,

The 10 year old may be able to go on some rides themselves using single rider if they are comfortable with that. The lines are much shorter for that and are available on some of the more exciting rides. You can wait in line with them, then they would ride the ride alone, and you would meet them at the exit to the ride.

Thats about your only option besides taking someone extra with you to help out with that situation, or getting a babysitter for your Hotel room, and taking the child that wants to do the more extreme rides for a little while, while the other one watches movies ect in the room.

california
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Sorry! I misunderstood, didn't know what you meant by "opportunities". Glad to know you didn't mean leaving them alone. :-)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,247 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Read up on Rider Swap and Single Rider to see what you think and help you plan. I am not sure how rider swap works with one adult.

There is no child minding or baby sitting service inside the parks. Casr members used to watch a child when a parent rode with another child, but I believe those days are long gone due to the possibility of lawsuits.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 04:19
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Thank you all for your feedback (and concern, it's nice to know that people can call out when things don't seem right!). I'm feeling far more confident now that I'll be able to manage this aspect during our trip.

@ree-nyc - All the information you provided is really helpful. I sat down again with my 10yo this morning, who is really sensible for her age, and ran through the list. Of all the rides you listed, she pointed out that the Tower of Terror was the one she really didn't think she could do. And that's ok, as I know my son definitely wouldn't do it, nor me for that matter! But we had a good talk about perceptions and overcoming our fears, and she said that so long as there's a solid floor (ie. not see through) then she believes she'll be ok with things going high. I have a feeling that we just need to get there, she'll go on her first "high" ride, and I won't be able to get her to stay away from the rest! ;-)

@happytotrip - Thank you for the advice on the Single Rider lines. I've read up on it and it certainly looks to be a good option for the 10yo who's far more confident than her brother. I've been a single mother for 7 years, and with all things, I've learnt to do everything on my own however there have certainly been those rare occasions where I wish I could "Rent a Granny", just to have another mature adult with me to provide support with the kids.

@RedlandsRedhead - thanks for confirming the Single Rider option, it is something that I'm sure I'll be using.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

I think for the 10 year old, I would leave out Space Mountain if they are thinking about riding that alone. Space Mountain does need an Adult with them Imo since the ride moves around alot and smaller people have a harder time holding on, and can slip. I dont know how else to explain it.

I might also be cautious for California Screamin as well as the Matterhorn if they were wanting to ride alone at that age imo, you are better off getting a baby sitter for a short time period.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 09:24
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

Can't be alone under 16? Wow, that is pretty old. DL is quite a safe place to be. Local schools do field trips to DL younger than 16 and the kids are off on their own. For the rides the younger one does not want to do, just wait in the line together (you don't need to limit it to single rider lines) and when you get to the front, put your older child on the ride and say you are not riding and go wait at the exit.

If you want to go to the expense you can hire someone to go with you (guide, nanny, etc.) to watch the younger child in the park or ride with the older.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for Single Parent in Disneyland

In the park, there isn't a child minding service but you may check at the DLand hotels as they have a child center and activities-- though I don't know if you can leave the child...but it's worth asking-- however, time would be an issue if the classes are short bc making it into the park, onto a ride, and back may be tough.