We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I can finally ask logistics!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
I can finally ask logistics!

Hi,

We've finally settled our plans. Myself, my son (7) and mom (70).

We'll be flying in and out of John Wayne and staying at the Homewood Suites Convention Center from Dec 7-15th.

A few questions I'd love input on:

-Are taxis usually around the airport with an easy ride into Anaheim? I'll be buying a travel booster seat for my son. We looked into a shuttle company but we'd have to collect luggage & then call them & it just felt like possibly more logistics than a cab. (We come from a land of no ride shares lol, so we aren't familiar with Uber/Lyft)

-We'll only be going to DL for 3 days, any suggestions on what days might be less busy/best show days to aim for?

-This leaves us with lots of down time. We love the ocean, Santa Monica or Laguna/Newport would be awesome to fit in, I love the idea of a farmer's market during the Christmas season, we'd like to shop at the outlets. I wanted to show mom Hollywood but I hate freeway driving, especially in unfamiliar places so we can skip that. I'm not opposed to renting a car if we can somehow putter around avoiding heavy traffic/40 lane confusing freeways. We're also always on transit at home, so we don't mind hopping on a bus. Any suggestions on how we should see the sights?

Thanks in advance guys!

8 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

Hi Can'tWait4Maui, welcome to the Anaheim forum.

Your son will require a car seat for all vehicles except trains and large coach-style or transit buses. The law is booster seats for anyone under the age of 8 who is not yet 145 cm tall. You can get an inflatable one (Bubble Bum is one brand) if you don't want to schlep a booster around, but honestly if you rent a car you might want to just bring his booster seat.

I would take an Uber/Lyft (or a cab) from John Wayne to your hotel at Disneyland, and then rent cars for the days you won't be at the park. You certainly won't need a car for the days at the park—just walk across Harbor into the Disneyland parking lot and take the free shuttle to the park.

The weekend will be the busiest days at Disneyland, so if you have an option I'd avoid those and do beaches, farmers markets, etc. those days.

You can easily get to beaches without enormous freeways. Avoiding traffic, however, is not going to be possible, because there is traffic everywhere. But on the surface streets it's not usually any worse than, say, driving Marine Way/Columbia St through New West.

Getting to LA (Hollywood, Venice, Santa Monica) without using either a rental car or a rideshare is going to be challenging. It's possible, of course—you can take the bus up to the Fullerton train station and tthen take the Metrolink or Amtrak train and the Metro Rail to get around—but it's slow and the train hours are limited. I'll put some websites at the bottom of this comment for you.

There's a good farmers market in Old Town Orange on Saturday morning from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on West Palm between North Cypress and North Lemon. The largest farmers market in the county is Saturday morning from 8 a.m. to noon in the parking lot of Mariners Church on the border of Irvine and Newport Beach. You would need a car for that one, I don't think there's much transit.

Orange County Transportation Authority (local buses to Disneyland): www.octa.net

Metro (local buses and light rail in Los Angeles): www.metro.net

Metrolink (commuter trains, think WCE): www.metrolinktrains.com

Amtrak (national rail company): www.amtrak.com

Consolidated train schedule: https:/…lossan-timetable.pdf

Vancouver
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

Thank you so much, I love that you know my area! I looked up both markets and they seem to be just food, no artisans. Maybe there's nothing similar to the Original Farmer's Market LA (an hour drive from our hotel)?

We love the WCE so the Metrolink sounds like a great way to possibly see LA as a day trip? It doesn't seem to go anywhere near the coast though.

Maybe Santa Monica is too far to bother. When I plug it into Lyft, it's minimum $60 each way & that's in a small car with a stranger on a freeway. Any closer coastal towns that would be fun (I know my son would love the pier at Santa Monica) and easier to access?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

Take Metrolink or Amtrak to Los Angeles Union Station in downtown. From here, you can get to Santa Monica via light rail train now: Metro red at Union Station for 3 stops to the 7th St. Metro station, then use Metro Expo to Santa Monica. You might want to make a stop at the California Science Center to see the Endeavour Space Shuttle, it's pretty cool and the train goes right past this great place. You'd get off the train in downtown Santa Monica, where you'll see the sign to the pier from the train station, head to it and enjoy the pier, beach, Tongva Park, stroll the 3rd St. Promenade. Get a Lyft to The Grove/Original Farmers Market (Lyft Line - the carpool option - is $18). Have dinner, stroll, etc. Return to Union Station for the return trip to Anaheim.

Don't be too fussed about rideshares, here in Santa Monica, they've replaced senior citizen transportation, and it's a popular program whereby seniors get fifty cent Lyft rides throughout Santa Monica; they are not fearful, I doubt you need be either.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,451 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

Or take the train to Union Station, Lyft to Santa Monica for $25 for a sedan, $18 for the carpool option.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
5. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

You might want to look at taking the train south. San Juan Capistrano has a beautiful mission and old town. Beach cities like Dana Point, San Clemente, Oceanside etc. Maybe even San Diego- Balboa Park could easily fill a day.

There are farmers markets all over, Huntington Beach has a fun one.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 06:30
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
6. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

Don’t be intimidated about using Uber or Lyft 😊 It’s easy and it’s everywhere in SoCal, and cheaper than a cab. You can download the app and set up the account before you go. And all the major mobile carriers in Canada have a “roam like home” option where you can get calls, texts, and data for a flat fee per day (with Bell its $7 per day). That way you aren’t reliant on wifi and it will also let you use the Disneyland app (wifi in the parks is really spotty).

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

The Orange farmers market is almost always just food. The Irvine farmers market at Mariners Church is a mix of both. (The Farmer's Market LA is not actually a farmers market.) Huntington Beach has a farmer's market that is mostly artisans, on Fridays from noon-5 p.m. (or dusk) at the pier.

Your son might be very into Huntington Beach, it's Surf City U.S.A. and thus it's every film you've ever seen about SoCal surfers. There's a big downtown with lots of things to look and see and eat and drink, and the pier and of course the beach itself. It's much closer than Santa Monica. Don't get me wrong—I really like SM, I used to live there—but it's a schlep from Anaheim.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,722 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: I can finally ask logistics!

A Taxi from SNA has a flat rate of $45 I believe, so if your more comfortable with that, just do that.

For your dates, that is a busy time. I would suggest visiting as early as possible in your dates. It will still be packed but not as much as if you waited till farther in your trip. I would suggest maybe Dec 10, 11, 12. There will be a nightly Fireworks show as its Christmastime. You can see crowd predictions to get some idea by looking at the "Is it Packed" site.

https:/…

If you wont have a car, that complicates things for you. You may want to consider splitting your stay, and stay a few days in LA too or San Diego which have alot to do. LA is about a 1 hour drive in good traffic from Anaheim, so things are sort of spread out.

If you want to visit a beach, I would suggest you just rent a car for the day and drive there. Huntington Beach is only about a 30 min drive all on surface streets so pretty easy to get to. Laguna Beach is nicer Imo, but a little farther.

Reply to: I can finally ask logistics!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted