We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route to Sea World

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Route to Sea World

Question... we're heading to Sea World tomorrow from Anaheim. I could take I-5 all the way down, but I'm also wondering if CA 1 would be worth driving down on for the scenery. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

16 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,648 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Route to Sea World

Orange Ave. is the main street in Coronado.

Eat before leaving Sea World.

And get change in case there are parking meters.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 17:01
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
207 reviews
12. Re: Route to Sea World

To answer your question, if you went to SeaWorld avoiding the i5 and trying to stick to the coast where possible, I’d expect that drive to be about 3 hours maybe more. The route south isn’t what it used to be as many parts of the old highway don’t exist or are not accessible so your doing a lot of diversions to stick to the coast. A good compromise would be to head south to Newport Beach and pick up the 1 from there to Dana Point then rejoin the i5. That should be around 2 hours, it adds about 40 mins to an hour depending on traffic.

All the best.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,743 posts
94 reviews
13. Re: Route to Sea World

As said there is no long coastal drive to see things. Even the one closest to the Ocean is going to give limited partial views, and mostly just businesses for a view.

I would suggest just driving straight to San Diego. If you want to make a stop either going or coming, I would suggest you consider La Jolla Cove which has some stunning views of the Ocean, and you can walk out on an Ocean breaker to see the waves crash in and look at the Sea Lions.

Expect though the drive just to San Diego to take 2 hours regardless which is more realistic Imo if you dont stop at all.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,648 posts
2 reviews
14. Re: Route to Sea World

October is kids month in San Diego. So Sea World will have the kids free special. One free for every paying adult. There may be high attendance numbers since the weather is nice and it's a Saturday. But that might not matter so much there.

If you go to a SD beach, I think Coronado would offer you more of a difference from Laguna than La Jolla.

Edited: 20 October 2018, 18:53
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,393 posts
10 reviews
15. Re: Route to Sea World

If you take this route it will take you 2 to 2.5 hours: 5 south, 55 south, 1 south to Dana Point, 5 south, 8 west/Sea World Drive.

You can take the coast road through Oceanside, Encinitas, and Solana Beach, too, but that will take you much longer than you want to spend.

There is a major bicycle event happening this weekend (the National Multiple Sclerosis Bay-to-Bay Ride from Irvine to San Diego) and so roads may be shrunk down a lane or diverted (some cities are better about this than others, from the point of view of the bicycle).

I don't know whether you're going today (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday) but all 2,500 bicyclists will be on the road on Sunday and the ride ends right near Sea World.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,634 posts
440 reviews
16. Re: Route to Sea World

>>>Is that enough time for the scenic route?<<<

No.

Not to do it justice. Just drive straight to SeaWorld.

Reply to: Route to Sea World
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted