We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Lake City to Jackson?

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Salt Lake City to Jackson?

For the first leg of our two week trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NP my husband and I are driving from Salt Lake city (arrive about 10:30am) to Jackson. We're looking for somewhere to stop maybe half way to explore and maybe spend the night. All suggestions appreciated as we've never been out this way before and don't have a good handle on distances yet!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

Hi again, Bayley1,

Re: distances and times, have you learned to use Google Maps or MapQuest? They will be your friend on all of your travels in US and Canada. :)

Since you arrive mid morning, you could be in Jackson in 5 to 6 hours according to Google Maps, plus time for meals and sightseeing. So, you could simply drive on through to these two spectacular parks - others will advise about sights en route.

When are you coming?

Have you lodging yet?

Have you questions about the parks or are you "settled" in your planning and time allocation among the three parks.

From what airport will you depart?

FYI, GoogleMaps says Gardiner, MT to East Glacier - 7 - 8 hour drive.

The roads are all fine (if not snowing) and your two weeks is, IMO, plenty of time to enjoy all three parks.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

Thanks for your reply! My husband and I are pretty experienced trip planners (just last week we rode mules down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, ouch!)

but for some reason planning this trip is throwing us for a loop. We love road trips and try to pack in as much as we can but don't want to go crazy either. We do have motel reservations as follows: fly into SLC, then one night in Green River (may eliminate this), two nights in Jackson Hole, three nights in West Yellowstone, two nights in Cody (but just found out about Bill Cody Ranch and want to stay there at least one night), two nights in Bozeman, two nights in Kalispell, two in Dillon, and back to SLC. I think that we're thrown because of the distance to cover and also because we never actually had two full weeks at a time! I know that there are a lot of motel changes but as I said we love road trips and don't mind changing our "base" frequently. If we eliminated the first night at Green River, how to proceed from there? Thanks for all help!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

We have flown in and out of SLC for our trips to YNP and GT. We are doing your trip in reverse this year. It is only about 5 hours to Jackson Hole so just drive it that day.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

There are not many choices as far as towns in between and since (as noted) Jackson is not that far it would be the better choice for that night. Granted, by the time you get luggage and car it will be noon it would still mean getting to Jackson by 6pm or so. Using the Logan and US-89 route up the Salt River Valley (very pretty) there are only two towns of any size...Afton and Alpine. Alpine seemed a little larger when we passed through there last year but is only 35 miles short of Jackson. There did appear to be several interesting looking places to maybe stop and have dinner at but I can't recall any names. There are a lot of vacation homes in the valley.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

I'd add at least one night for YNP wherever you lodge, though I prefer inside the park lodging. It's a huge "park", much to see and to do. You might be surprised at the wonders of the place once there.

Kalispell? I assume you are going to Glacier NP, and two days is good. But, I'd stay in Whitefish or, on the east side, St. Mary or E. Glacier if not inside the park.

Dillon, MT - I don't understand two days - or an overnight there... you have your reasons.

Cody - Rather than move again, perhaps two nights at that ranch? Do see the museums, fabulous.

Bozeman? Would not stay two nights. Worth taking time to see old Bozeman and Butte.

When is this trip?

Edited: 17 April 2010, 05:04
6. Re: Salt Lake City to Jackson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 16:23