We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
154 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

We are visiting the USA next April and have booked only flights during our 12 nights we are spending 3 nights in Washington DC before travelling on to New York . We will be visiting the smithsonian museums etc.

Can anyone suggest the best area to stay for 3 nights somewhere safe. We are from England and watch too many movies we are a little scared that Wasington might have some bad area? We have only visited America once before and that was just Las Vegas

Also what will the weather be like early April? And would you suggest bus or train to New York?

Many Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

There is no "best area" to stay, only choices to be made as to what kind of area you like. You will not see any hotels in unsafe areas recommended on this forum. If you want some specific recommendations, as stated over and over, you need to provide exact dates, a budget in US dollars and how many beds you need. It sounds like you may be here during the Cherry Blossom Festival, which means bigger crowds and higher hotel prices.

Unless your budget is very limited, I recommend the train for travel to NYC from DC. But no need for the more expensive Acela, just the regular regional trains are fine.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
154 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

We will be in Washington 28th -31st March (not April as I said above. oops sorry) Their will just be myself and my husband and we are looking at upto £200 (around $320) for our total stay.

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

If you mean $320 for 3 nights, there aren't many good choices at that low a price. The Cherry Blossom Festival starts March 20, 2013 so prices will be a bit higher than usual. But $100 a night is on the low side at any time in DC. You might want to look at the no-frills Americana Hotel in close-by Crystal City. It is popular but basic. And in a very safe area. http://www.americanahotel.com/

If you mean $320 a night, you will have lots of great choices.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

Look at Rosslyn. It's basically the financial district so is very quiet but modern and has very few weirdos wandering around. I stayed in the Holiday Inn in July for 5 nights and it was just over £300. Very nice hotel and there are a few others in the area too. Not really walking distance to the middle of Washington but the subway is nearby and is very good.

We also travelled to New York from DC and we took the bus. It was easy to get a taxi from the hotel to the bus station and you can book tickets online and it was only about £10 each. Check out the greyhound website. Not sure about trains but I know they can be expensive.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
154 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

Can anyone tell me if Capitol hill is a good neighnourhood? close to Stanton & Lincoln parks? Thanks.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 23:36
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

Capitol Hill is a mixed bag as to convenience and safety. Those trying to sell their property (or rent an apartment) often exaggerate how close to things they are, so an exact address is a good idea before committing. The further east you go, the less desirable the area is, in general. I would never consider Capitol Hill a "best area" for a tourist.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
154 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Am I allowed to post links on this forum? I have found this on airbnb https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/266852 Is this the not recommended area then? Thanks x

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay

The phrase "4 blocks from H Street (also known as the Atlas District)" tells me I wouldn't want to stay there. It may be up and coming but it isn't there yet. And you are far from any Metro station. It is not as safe as I would enjoy. Too close to too much crime.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
154 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area to stay

Ok that's good to know, I wont book that area at all then Thanks. I'm wondering weather to just do 2 nights in Washington and leave late evening so we can get a full 2 days in NYC.

Out of the 4 places we will be visiting i'm finding Washington the most difficult for choosing a place to stay we arrive at Dulles Airport at 16.30 after 11 hours flying then we need to get to where we are staying as easily as possible. We want to be close enough to the museums to not spend all our time travelling. :-( I'm glad we have lots of time to arrange this trip haha.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area to stay

There are lots and lots of good choices in DC, but you do have to make a choice. If your budget is only around $100 a night, your choices are limited. With the dates you are coming you have a good chance of seeing the beautiful cherry blossoms. That means hotels are a bit more expensive and rooms will be more difficult to get.

Did you check the Americana I mentioned earlier? It is in a good location, but with its cheaper price range, will fill up long before next March. The Holiday Inn Rosslyn also tends to be a bit cheaper than most and is fine.