We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington dc trip in Feb.

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
washington dc trip in Feb.

My family & I are going for a 5 day trip to Washington DC in February. I've been trying to find some night time activites. We will have a 9yr old & a 19yr old with us. I had wanted to see a play but there's only one that I found that's suitable for a child, Peter Pan, but I know my 19yr old will not want to see it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, we'll be there for our anniversary & wanted to maybe go to a nice restaurant (not coat & tie type) that' we can bring both children with us too. Any suggestions for that too? Thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

For your anniversary dinner, look into Founding Farmers for dinner. We recommend it often on the forum. It is an amazing restaurant and the food is kid-friendly, but there are plenty of upscale options for the adults. It's not too pricey (entrees in the $18 range) and it is my son's favorite restaurant in town (he is 16). You're fine in nice jeans (or khakis) and a dress shirt, which is nice when you're on vacation. You need reservations, get them at least 10 days in advance, the more, the better, as it is jam packed. It is a bustling atmosphere (so kids are popular here) but still has a nice sit-down feel.

Regarding theatre performances, it is hard to chime in without knowing the exact dates you will be in town. I could make some more fitting suggestions given that information.

Also, I wanted to make sure you have a hotel reservation. If not, let me know your dates, nightly budget, and room preference (room w/2 beds, connecting rooms, king + sofa bed, etc) and I would look into suggestions.

Even if you HAVE a reservation, if it is NOT prepaid, I welcome you to give me your dates, budget and room preference and I may be able to find something nicer for less (or equal) out there for you.

And lastly, I hope you have a nighttime tour of the monuments planned. In all my years in DC, I've done every tour company/guide service around, and none of them are half-decent. Here is what I always suggest for families:

I would suggest you start by having dinner at Sequoia at Washington Harbour. The food isn't that great, but its moderately priced and you won't be overly stuffed for the walking tour because the portions aren't huge and you won't eat a lot! The view is spectacular and it is a good place to start your sightseeing.

Walk from the Harbour on 31st ST NW to the Rock Creek Park Trail. Pick it up and follow the river down past the famous Watergate Complex and JFK Performing Arts Center. It will take you right to the Lincoln Memorial. Then, in this order, visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Reflecting Pool, WWII Memorial, MLK Jr. Memorial, Korean War Memorial, pick the trail back up and head down to the FDR Memorial, then follow the trail along the basin to the Jefferson Memorial, walk along the basin to D street where you can walk 4 blocks to L’Enfant Plaza to catch the Yellow line metro if you need to access the metro. You could also take a cab, too. This is a very nice tour and doable in 3 hours, pushing 3.5 at the most. It’s well lit and very populated, too and is a great way to see DC!

Safe travels,

Arlingtonman13

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

William Shakespeare's The Two Gentlemen of Verona will be playing at the Shakespeare Theater in February

The Wings of Ikarus Jackson (Ikarus Jackson can fly. Some think it's strange. But when one girl sticks up for him, Ikarus learns to let his spirit soar in this inspiring Kennedy Center dance/theater adaptation of Christopher Myers's colorful children's book. Age 8+) is at the Kennedy Center Feb. 4 - 19, 2012

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

Why not just split up and have Mom go to one play with one child and Dad go to another play with the other child? Kids always like having one-on-one time with a parent and with 5 days of "togetherness", an evening apart might be fun for all.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

Thanks to all. We're going to be going from Feb. 18-22 & we're staying at Hotel Monaco. We do plan on doing a tour of the monuments on one night if it's not too cold. Is it safe to walk at night from the hotel to different places, or would be it be better to call a cab or use the metro?

Is the play Two guys for Veronica appropriate for kids? Has anyone seen it?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

"Is it safe to walk at night from the hotel to different places, or would be it be better to call a cab or use the metro?"

Yes.

"Two guys for Veronica"

Do you mean The Two Gentlemen of Verona? I am sure you can read all about it on the internet

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

Sorry yes I meant Two Gentlemen of Verona. I didn't see any reviews as of yet listed, but I'll keep looking.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,558 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

"Sorry yes I meant Two Gentlemen of Verona. I didn't see any reviews as of yet listed, but I'll keep looking."

It's not a new play, been around a couple years. :) You can probably find a synopsis on the Internet and decide...

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

First, good hotel choice. No need to rethink it; in a tremendous area at a tremendous hotel. No need to cab/metro unless you're going long distances that aren't sensible walking. But to White House, mall, Union Station, Capitol, etc. you're excellently well-off.

"Why not just split up and have Mom go to one play with one child and Dad go to another play with the other child? Kids always like having one-on-one time with a parent and with 5 days of "togetherness", an evening apart might be fun for all."

I agree.

Here is a synopsis of The Two Gentlemen of Verona:

…shakespearetheatre.org/single/psDetail.aspx…

If you decide to go, sign up for Goldstar and they send you discounts for tickets. Tickets for Much Ado about Nothing (What is playing @ Shakespeare Theatre Company now) were $110, but Goldstar offered them for $29.99 and $39.99, dependent upon seat selection. The disadvantage of Goldstar is you can't pick your seats, you just pick your section. As a financial supporter of the Shakespeare Theatre Compnay, I get free tickets to all the premieres so that's typically how I go see them, so I can't comment on either of the ticket booking engines. Well, I booked two tickets through them for Much Ado because I chose to go to it twice and booked through them directly to get my preferred seats. For the Lansburg Theatre, where this performance is held, try to get J2 and J4 (also J6, J8 if all 4 of you are going) or J1 and J3 (also J5, J7 if all 4 of you are going). They are my favorites.

The nice thing is there really isn't a single bad seat in the house, but I prefer orchestra west, myself. It's kinda confusing because orchestra west is on the right, and orchestra east is on the left (From the back of the theatre) so keep that in mind if you go, for locating your seats. This website is also the ticket sales dept of the Shakespeare Theatre Company, so you can get a feel for their prices and seating here. Looks like tickets are $79 directly through STC, probably will come to Goldstar at $25 or $30 and up.

You can walk to the Shakespeare Theatre Company from your hotel (in fact, its perfectly located for going to STC, so good choosing!)

Shakespeare is good, but I don't know if you're 9 year old would appreciate it. This is a nice option if you and your husband split the kids to go to both Peter Pan and The Two Gentlemen of Verona (by the way, dress up at STC, it isn't a casual place!). However, there is another option or two worth mentioning.

1) Shear Madness @ the Kennedy Center. Tickets are $45, so a cheaper option. From Kennedy Center:

"Shear Madness is the comedy whodunit that lets the audience solve the crime! Set in present-day Georgetown, Shear Madness engages locals and visitors alike as armchair detectives to help solve the scissor-stabbing murder of a famed concert pianist who lives above the Shear Madness unisex hairstyling salon. The show combines up-to-the-minute improvisational humor and a mixture of audience sleuthing to deliver a unique performance each night. Shear Madness has been running in the Kennedy Center's Theater Lab for over 20 years, giving more than 10,000 performances and is the second longest play in the history of American Theater (its sister production of Shear Madness in Boston is #1.)"

I think both of your kids would like this over Shakespeare, especially considering their ages.

Any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help as well as I can!

Best,

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,857 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

There are half-price tickets for Shear Madness nearly every day of the year at Ticketplace. cultural-alliance.org/tickets/today.html It's silly, but fun.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: washington dc trip in Feb.

I love Tripadvisor Forums because everyday it seems I learn something new...and today I accredit Darrell for that - thanks so much Darrel, I never knew that before. That reminds me of BosTix we used in Boston to get Blue Man Group tickets @ Charles Playhouse!

Maybe I'll have to take my family next time they're visiting! I'm sure they'd like Shear Madness!

Best,

Arlingtonman13