We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blue ridge mountains

wales
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
blue ridge mountains

Hi coming over in 3 weeks cant wait, reading all the reviews, my question, i would love to see the blue ridge mountains, but havnt been able to find a tour from washington to see them. We havnt got a car, any suggestions please?.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,129 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blue ridge mountains

Honestly, if you're from Wales I don't think you would be too impressed by the Blue Ridge mountains. The area closest to Washington IS a nice day trip if you have a car, but I wouldn't worry about missing that. The more impressive areas of the Blue Ridge are way down in Virginia and North Carolina and would be a day-long drive (each way).

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blue ridge mountains

I'd recommend renting a car and staying overnight in the mountains. My favorite times of day in the mountains are at dawn and at sunset, and if you're leaving DC in the morning or trying to get back before dark, you're going to miss one of them.

Just remember that Americans tend to drive on the right, at least when they're sober. :-)

wales
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blue ridge mountains

Thanks guys, it was worth asking

Potomac, MD
Level Contributor
171 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blue ridge mountains

I couldnt find a one day bus tour of Shenadoah National Park (this is what you are referring to). One can rent a car for the day-the drive to the northern end of Skyline Drive is under 2 hours. Luray Caverns is there and is also worht seeing if you''ve never done something like that. So if you get an early start and leave by 7 or 8 you have the whole day to drive down the Drive and take some hikes. Leave when it gets dark .Interstate 66 literally goes from the Roosevelt Bridge in DC to the Park. It really is beautiful.If you stay overnight, you can do wineriesand the Caverns easily but one day is doable.

5. Re: blue ridge mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:19