We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

I am in the throes of organising a 'surprise' trip for my wife and self to NYC for December this year. I think about a week in the Big Apple and then perhaps another week, to coincide with Christmas, in the New England Region. I have always wanted to visit Vermont but would also welcome suggestions on other areas in the region where we are most likely to see the 'white stuff' at Chtistmas. I guess we will need to hire a car to tour the area, so I would welcome suggestions on the best way to travel from NYC to New England; train, air or car? Many thanks from 'down under'.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

Car will give you the most flexibility, no doubt on that one. You will be severely limited in destination choices by plane or train if you don't rent a car.

Where to go?

Well, northern Vermont is more likely to be colder than southern Vermont, but that doesn't necessarily translate into "more snow". Often the heaviest snow is in central and southern Vermont, because of the path of so-called "Nor'easters" that track up the eastern seacoast of the U.S. Those of us who live in far northern Vermont often don't get any snow from storms that dump big amounts 150 miles to our south. Such was the case quite often this winter that is just ending.

Loosely translated, I'd say your best bet for snow is a higher elevation ski town, so that could mean Stratton, Okemo, Killington, Stowe....but we've seen more than a few Christmas weeks at all of those locations with no snow at all. You just never know, and there are no guarantees whatsoever.

Cheers...

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

Spudtate mate, g'day!

That's the end of my Aussie humour!

As has been mentioned car hire is the most flexible and do hire a 4x4 cos' if we do get snow it's worth the small premium and means you can go almost anywhere.

In case there is little or no snow do pick a location in the State that has other things to offer and I feel that Woodstock offers you the sort of location you seek. The town web site is www.woodstockvt.com.

Skiing can had locally both down hill and cross country or Killington's Skyship gondola is a 20 minute drive away (where I've been this very day!) and has some of the best skiing in all of the east.

You can get a train from New York to Rutland VT 20 minutes west from Killington and also to White River junction 50 minutes east from Killington. You can fly to West Lebanon on US Air from La Guardia New York but it is a less than reliable flight as weather seems to often effect schedules in winter. You can also fly on JetBlue from JFK to Burlington.

If you drive from New York you can either take I87 though New Jersey/New York state or the more crowded route though Connecticut then up I91 north into New England.

From Woodstock you can drive to Stowe/Burlington in 2 hours, Mount Washington in New Hampshire in 2.5 hours and potter through many small villages with covered bridges and country farm shops. The Maine coast is about 3 hours away and if the snow is light you could take a trip to Boston (2.5 hours) or Montreal (3 hours).

The food in the locality of Woodstock is excellent and the village has 3 of the top 6 Trip Advisor Vermont State rated B & B'/inns located in/near it.

It also has the Vermont Hospitality Council's 2007 restaurant of the year and 2006 B & B Innkeepers of the year located right in the village centre.

The village is often mentioned as being on of the 5 prettiest villages in the whole of the USA. Do you need more reasons to spend some time here?

If you need more advice on locations/routes/areas then please feel free to e-mail me or post your request.

If you do come please bring some Blinky Bills and drop them in to me!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

Thanks guys for the very helpful advise; loved the attempt at Aussie humour also. Not sure that skiing will be on the agenda as I've only ever seen snow once or twice in my life and at 62, it's probably a little late to start learning. It sure sounds like there will be lots to see, especially in Vermont at that time of the year and I'm excited!!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

Well Spud,

At your mature but I'm sure youthful years....You could certainly try cross country skiing or failing that snow shoeing which is the winter way of going for a great walk.

Just makes sure you bring some warm clothes as this winter it has often been -20oC+ for days on end. Wonderfully sunny but feckin freezin as our Irish cousins might say!

5. Re: Best part of New England for a 'white' Christmas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:19