We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closed thread

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,783 posts
250 reviews
Closed thread

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14305…

I’m a little disappointed that TA closed the thread. The OP demonstrated extreme carelessness and stupidity, but thankfully there were a dozen replies that rightfully pointed out his folly and foolishness. Those 12 replies are as valuable as any advice posted in this forum.

12 replies to this topic
utah
Level Contributor
3,419 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Closed thread

I'm a little disappointed they didn't delete the thread completely. Not sure why they would want a post up advocating that. It's almost like saying - we drove on the wrong side of the road and didn't crash in a head on - smartest decision we ever made.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,783 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Closed thread

Agreeing that the OP was dangerous and ill advised. But there’s a lesson to be learned from the experts and others who replied with overwhelming admonishment.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
21,649 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Closed thread

I agree with RedRox. There's a lesson in that post for other readers. Those kids were fool hardy and reckless.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
26,050 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Closed thread

I agree with RedRox and Connie; perhaps we could ask the moderators to re-open the thread? (Let me know if you want me to do this.)

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Closed thread

Should have remained there, it was a great example for others to learn from. It will go off the first page, anyway.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Closed thread

Agree.

Too much policing these days on TA.

Bubble wrapping everyone is lame.

Or allow people's own common sense to make their own judgement using info gained from every member. Good and bad content allows for informed decision making, just as you have good and bad reviews for a hotel.

Shame the brave OP didn't to reply back to some of the comments. The thread would have held even more value then.

Edited: 24 October 2018, 02:15
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Closed thread

Only a couple of weeks ago in Capitol Reef, i was a little foolhardy in the rains. It turned out well in the end but even after all the things i should and do know, people can be foolish at times.

It even gave me an adrenaline rush of which i know is a bad thing now, but felt good at the time.

Sharing this type of experience will generally confirm, all the more, the reasons to heed warnings and follow suit of the guidance offered here.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,050 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Closed thread

I've put a message in to the moderators asking them to reinstate the thread in question. (FYI, anyone can do this; I don't have any special "Destination Expert" powers!)

Edited: 24 October 2018, 04:06
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,672 posts
181 reviews
9. Re: Closed thread

Did the mods remove it or the "community?" It was my impression if that was the case, the OP had to request a review? I may be completely wrong, so please correct me if I am!

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,050 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Closed thread

It appears that it was removed by "the community" - so that just means that the right number of people clicked on the post and reported it. This is an automated thing and not subject to any human intervention or review, at least, not so far as I know.

In situations such as this, anyone, OP or otherwise, can contact the moderators and ask them to review the situation and, if the moderators think it's the right thing to do, they will reinstate the original post and re-open the thread. Or, if they don't think it should be reinstated/re-opened, it will stay shut and I would expect to receive a personal e-mail (albeit an automated one) advising me of their decision.

I'll keep y'all posted if I hear anything!

Reply to: Closed thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted