We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Byway 12

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Byway 12

I'm thinking about driving 12 after leaving Canyonlands Maze district mid May 2019. This is the start of my planning. I'm trying to get an idea of time to allow. I don't want to be in a hurry. In fact, I'd like to drive some of the "back roads" (Burr Trail, Hole In The Rock, ect). I'll be in my own 4x4 pickup. Any help is appreciated.

PG

7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Byway 12

If you are approaching Highway 12 from the north after your Moab stay, you should plan to stay overnight in Torrey, Utah and an overnight in Escalante Utah or at Bryce after you drive it.. You can easily use a full day driving Highway 12 with side trips on the Burr Trail and Hole in the Rock. To attempt to drive it any other way will mean you'll be rushed and hurried.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
2. Re: Byway 12

Agreeing with Connie. You need a nightly base in Torrey, or possibly Hanksville. How much time are you anticipating? Where is your ultimate destination?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
115 posts
3. Re: Byway 12

Thanks for your replies. Current idea is to spend 2-3 nights in Moab (been there a few times), spend 2-3 nights in the Maze (been to IITS and Needles), then spend 2-3 days on or about hwy 12, then home. It's early in the planning stage, so things can change.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Byway 12

I suppose that you have or will completely research going to the Maze. It's very remote, requires a 4WD vehicle and takes 4 to 6 hours to access and may require a permit.

Whether you access it from highway 24 or highway 95, the logical overnight before driving highway 12 would be in Torrey, Utah and then spend a night or two in Escalante or at Calf Creek Falls campground at the southern end.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,887 posts
449 reviews
5. Re: Byway 12

You have a good plan. We've Jeeped in Maze area a lot, but not for some years. One thing you do need to consider if you're spending a few days is to bring fuel. You'll be 50-75 miles from any fuel so just getting in and out can push a half tank.

From Torrey south, consider Waterpocket Fold through Capitol Reef, which empties out onto the Burr Trail. You miss Boulder Mountain with that route but what you see in the valley floor along Waterpocket Fold is fantastic. Very easy road to drive in your rig.

Depending on how far south you're going, a few other roads through Grand Staircase area are Cottonwood Canyon and Skumptah Roads. Both cut south from Cannonville eventually coming out on US89. You should be fine in your rig with common sense.

Have fun.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
115 posts
6. Re: Byway 12

Connie B...I have been reading as much as I can find. Including the distances and estimated drive times. And permits, which I don't have yet.

T&C...I always bring extra fuel. My truck's fuel "economy" isn't.

I try to remember to bring extra everything when I go this remote. The only thing I don't have a current solution for is communication. Don't know if I want to go as far as renting a sat phone. Seems a little overboard (until I need it).

Thanks for the tips.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,475 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Byway 12

Just information sake, there will be little cell service away from population centers. So having a means to communicate in case of an emergency is a good idea when you are going to be alone in very remote Utah. You may not need it, but will be glad to have it if you do.

Reply to: Byway 12
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted