We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

I am planning a trip of a lifetime from Europe to US next summer (mid July - end August 2019) for our family (husband and me, + 3 kids - 15, 9 and 6). We will spend 5-6 weeks, 1st week NYC, then to LV and Utah parks for ca. 10-11 days, then San Diego up to San Francisco via Yosemite . It's a lot to organise and I want it to work as well as possible, hence planning itinerary early. I would really appreciate advice about the Utah national parks part. Are the timings about right? We don't want anything too fast paced and want a couple of slightly longer stays as one of our kids needs a little bit of time to fully get into new places (the others love change so we're trying to strike a balance ;-). The kids like short(ish) hikes (we have often walked 3-4 miles in the Alps), but need downtime and pool time too. My proposed itinerary (after 2 nights in LV) is:

- drive to Zion, stay in Springdale (Desert Pearl Inn?) for four nights - walk, picnic, swim in park (walking narrows, up to Emerald lake etc.)

- drive to Bryce, stay one night in a rim cabin, basically to catch sunset and sunrise.

- drive to Page, stay 3 nights - was thinking first day antelope canyon, second day smooth river rafting; third day rent power boat on Lake Powell. Suggestions as to where to stay here would be good.

- drive to Grand Canyon south rim. Should we stay a night there or nearby, or is it enough just to stop for a couple of hours?

Finally, I'd love any suggestions as to where we could spend 1 or 2 nights on way to San Diego.

All tips, advice and practical suggestions would be super welcome. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

This looks looks pretty good.

The Desert Pearl is an excellent property with what I think is the best pool in town

Check Trip Advisor for hotel listings in Page. There are a lot to choose from. Find one that fits your budget and needs. Then book directly with the hotel.

You should have an overnight at the Grand Canyon. Stay at one of the six lodges inside the park.

You might want to post on the Utah forum for help with the San Diego leg.

utah
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

FYI - Emerald Pools is not something you can swim in - however, there is a waterfall to walk under on the hike.

Yes to a night at the Grand Canyon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

There really isn't any place to swim inside Zion. You can wade in the Virgin River near Riverside Walk if it isn't running too fast and deep.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,146 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

Good plan. I agree about Desert Pearl. And definitely booka night at one of the rim lodges at Grand Canyon National Park.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

I mean post on the California forum for help with the San Diego leg.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

Thanks everyone. By popular consensus I’m adding in a night at the Grand Canyon :-)

More advice very welcome!

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

Thanks Connie - I will do. For me, this is the most special leg of the whole tour and I really want to get it right (and sorted out in time to book national park lodges if necessary) so am working it out first. Hoping the rest will fall into place after ...

miami, fl.
Level Contributor
72 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted

Just wanted to share as far as your lodging in Page, you might want to look Into renting a home. We will be there this summer for 3 nights and it's what we are doing. After such a long trip, you might be tired of restaurant food and crave a home cooked meal + we always find a house is much more comfortable then a hotel.

However in Springdale I defitnatley agree you should stay at Desert Pearl. You will love it.

Reply to: Zion/Bryce/Page and ? family road trip - advice wanted
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted