We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

4 posts
Save Topic
Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

My family of 5 adults is leaving for our trip tomorrow....and we are so exciting. Our reservations are all made but I am still trying to tweek out a detail or two.Here's our plan:

Day 1 Fly from NJ to Las Vegas. Evening on the strip.

Day 2. Drive to Zion, short hikes, we will be staying at Flannigans.

Day 3 Explore Zion, evening at Flannigans.

Day 4. Drive to Bryce, explore area. Evening at Best Western Bryce Canyon Hotel

Day 5. Up early for sunrise at Sunrise Point. Leave Bryce shortly after, and drive to Torrey. Evening at Austin's Chuckwagon.

Day 6. Capital Reef, then drive to Moab. We will be staying in a rental house.

Day 7. Canyonlands, evening in rental house in Moab.

Day 8. Arches NP, evening in Moab rental house

Day 9. Drive to Page via Monument Valley. Horseshoe Bend, evening in Page in rental house.

Day 10. 9:15 reservation for lower antelope canyon tour. afternoon activity? Evening in Page

Day 11 Drive to South Rim of GC. Evening at Maswik Lodge.

Day 12. Leave GC by 2 to catch late flight back to NJ.

Please feel free to comment on must do activities, however our accommodations can not be changed at this time. I specifically would like to know: on Day 5 should I leave Bryce shortly after breakfast and explore Capital Reef on our way to Torrey? Would that be enough time for Capital Reef or do I need more time in Capital Reef on Day 6?

Mentioned in this post
Sunrise Point
Sunrise Point
518 Reviews
Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,084 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

Capitol Reef is not on the way to Torrey. It’s about 15 minutes east of Torrey on highway 24. But I think you should leave Bryce after breakfast. The drive over highway 12 should be savored by stopping at viewpoints and maybe driving the paved portion of the Burr Trail from Boulder. You would probably still have some time for a drive into Capitol Reef before sunset. At the least you could stop at Goosenecks Overlook.

Bring rain gear. Rain is predicted around Torrey on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 06:20
Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,571 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Burr Trail
Burr Trail
209 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Goosenecks Overlook
Goosenecks Overlook
186 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

Take your time on hwy 12. Stop at kiva koffee house for food if not the view. You will probably have time for some of Capitol reef that same day but I would not rush leaving Bryce nor hurry along hwy 12. Take some time the next morning for the scenic drive or a hike before heading to Moab.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

Thank you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!

One other option between Bryce and Torrey is to hike Calf Creek Falls. It's a little over 6-miles round trip, but with minimal elevation gain. It is very exposed to sunlight, as there is little shade. And portions of it are in sugary sand, that can be difficult for some. But it's a 125-foot waterfall in the middle of the desert. Very beautiful scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Need help between Bryce and Torrey-Leaving tomorrow!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted