We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP

Erica, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP

Hello people,

In september we are going to the states for a roundtrip. I almost planned everything, but only one question remaining. Our route is SLC - Yellowstone - Jackson - Capitol Reef and then further to Bryce, Zion, GC and LV.

I have a question about the route Jackson to Capitol Reef. Which route should we take (is there a scenic route, or should we just take the quickest one)? And we are doing this route in 2 days, so we have one night in between. Do you have an advice for a nice cozy town for example? Since we start in SLC, I donot want to go back to SLC again (due to traffic etc.).

Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
124 Reviews
from USD 598.49*
USD 629.99
3-Day Tour: Sedona, Monument Valley...
26 Reviews
from USD 529.00*
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
124 Reviews
from USD 511.00*
3 replies to this topic
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP

Since you have an overnight in between, i'd go via the pretty Flaming Gorge and include the Dam tour.

Next day do Dinosaur including the quarry centre.

You'd also have Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse slot to pass through en-route.

If you have kids, i'm sure they'll love these as very kid (and adult friendly).

Edited: 13 May 2018, 20:15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP

Another option would be to stay overnight in Park City between Jackson and Capitol Reef. For a scenic route, take the Mirror Lake Highway through the highest mountain range in Utah.

In Park City, there is Utah Olympic Park, one of the best mountain biking towns in the world, Main Street shops and galleries, etc. If you're arriving later in September there will be nice autumn foliage to view.

Then, on the way to Capitol Reef, head down Provo Canyon where you'll pass the 600-foot Bridal Veil Falls. You could also make a stop at Robert Redford's Sundance Resort too, if wanted. This will largely bypass most of the urban corridor along I-15.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,801 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP

I like Shake's plan. If you hit the Mirror Lake Highway at the right time in September, it will be a stunning drive with fall leave color. Same thing with driving down Provo Canyon from Park City.

Reply to: Route Jackson - Capitol Reef NP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted