We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip! Need help

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip! Need help

Hello TA's - me and my DH planned a last minute trip to Park City. Staying at Sunrise Lodge . We were supposed to go to Hawaii but had to cancel everything last minute due to the volcano eruptions. I'm pregnant and never been to Utah. We are coming for 10nights from May 31-Jun10. Have no clue regarding summer activities. We are in our early 30's, love outdoor activities and nature.

Would like to do mild-moderate hiking, nothing too strenuous. We love exploring nature. Are there any spots you recommend to go as a day trip? We will have a car the entire time. Also, I see that the closest National Park is almost 4.5hrs drive. Unless we spend a night there, it's not going to be worth it, right?

Also, I'm prone to altitude sickness. I get headaches and breathing issues for a day or two (experienced at Breckenridge, CO and Switzerland). We are planning to take it easy first few days of our trip to acclimatize.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Sunrise Lodge by Hilton Grand Vacations
Sunrise Lodge by Hilton...
1,115 Reviews
Park City, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
119 Reviews
from USD 511.00*
Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
94 Reviews
from USD 598.49*
USD 629.99
Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks...
124 Reviews
from USD 227.99*
11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

I have always had problems with altitude so last year when I was planning my trip, I searched for ways to help and found a tip that said to be well hydrated BEFORE you go. So for the week before we left, I made sure I went through around 3 quarts of water a day. It helped so much! I was able to walk easily at the Alpine Visitor Center in RMNP which was a no go for me the two previous trips. I doubt I could've run across the parking lot, but I didn't have the usual headache, lightheadedness, or funky feeling while walking so I was happy. The rest of the trip was a breeze after that.

We enjoyed a scenic drive on the Alpine Scenic Byway by American Fork. Timpanogos Cave is on the loop, but that has a 1.5 mile hike up the side of a mountain so maybe don't do that if you are avoiding strenuous hikes, but the byway was gorgeous and had some trailheads throughout the drive.

Also, even though I am rarely one who just sits back and relaxes on a trip, I would highly recommend savoring your time as a couple before life changes as you know it. Take in the sunsets and the romantic walks and just sit and enjoy each other's company. Take a day to do nothing but relax somewhere. Babies have a way of changing your life as you know it and it's going to be a very long time before it's just the two of you again. (I say this with my oldest graduating from high school in a week!)

Mentioned in this post
American Fork
American Fork
Wasatch Range, UT
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Thank you so much, Stacy! I’ll make sure to drink plenty of fluids. Will try the scenic drives and hikes you’ve mentioned.

Yes we are definitely going to relax and spend few days doing nothing but just strolling. What you think about going to one of National Parks and spend a night there? If yes, which one would you recommend?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 00:05
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Also, many congratulations on your daughters graduation! And Happy Mothers Day in advance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

10 days is a lot of time in Park City, even with hiking and doing scenic drives. If you aren’t locked in to the full 10 days at your lodging, you should consider taking at least 3 to 4 of those days and go to at least one of the national parks in Utah. Arches and Canyonlands are 4 hours from Park City. You would base in the town of Moab.

As for day trips, here are a few ideas.

Drive to Mirror Lake. To do the full drive, head east on I 80 to Evanston Wyoming. Then take highway 150 to Mirror Lake and on to Kamas Utah. There’s a nice improved trail around Mirror Lake. In Kamas, you could stop at our favorite pizza place, Summit Inn. This entire drive will 3 to 4 hours depending on stops.

Spend a day in Salt Lake City visiting Temple Square and other points os interest in town.

Drive to Sundance Resort. This is accessed by taking highway 40 to Heber City Utah and then highway 189 down Provo Canyon. Enjoy lu ch at the Foundry Grill at Sundance. You could then continue on to Timp Cave. The hike to the cave is steep with an elevation gain of 600’.

From Park City, drive up over Guardsman Pass to Brighton. Go to Silver Lake and walk the improved trail around the lake. Then continue down Big Cottonwood Canyon for lunch at Silver Lake Lodge. You could then keep going in to Salt Lake and then back to Park City. Or, go back the way you came. There are hikes in Big Cottonwood Canyon. A popular one is to Donut Falls.

In Park City, spend some time on Main Street. Visit the Park City Museum. Go to the Olympic Park and visit the museum there. There’s a nice improved trail from Park City all the way to Kimball Junction....Walk it or bike all or part of it.

About elevation issues. Breckinridge is at 9000’. Park City is at 7000’. Airplanes are pressurized to 8000’. Stay well hydrated and as Stacy said start drinking a lot of water before your trip. Taking it easy the first day or so is probably a good idea. You may want to consider staying in Salt Lake City your first night to help with the adjustment. Salt Lake is at 4500’.

Have a great visit.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Moab
Moab
Utah
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,337 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Sundance Resort
Sundance Resort
444 Reviews
Sundance, UT
Heber City
Heber City
Wasatch Range, UT
Provo Canyon
Provo Canyon
166 Reviews
Provo, UT
Foundry Grill
Foundry Grill
89 Reviews
Provo, UT
Big Cottonwood Canyon
Big Cottonwood Canyon
943 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Donut Falls
Donut Falls
69 Reviews
North Salt Lake, UT
Park City Museum
Park City Museum
466 Reviews
Park City, UT
Utah Olympic Park
Utah Olympic Park
2,018 Reviews
Park City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Greetings and welcome to Utah.

Good info above. I would agree with Connie that 10 days in Park City might be a little long, especially since it's the very beginning of summertime and things won't be in full swing. I would definitely head down to the national parks for a little bit.

The Moab area is about 4 hours away with two national parks, Arches and Canyonlands, in close proximity. You could spend 4 nights there. Not sure if you're able to get out of your lodging though. If you can only spare a single night, head to Bryce Canyon for an overnighter. It's the smallest park and easiest to absorb in a short time.

In addition to the options suggested in Park City, I'll throw out a couple of more. Antelope Island is about an hour from downtown Salt Lake City. There are herds of bison, antelope, deer, an occasional fox or coyote. A ride on the Snowbird tram will offer Rocky Mountain views from 11,000-feet without requiring a hike. There is nice restaurant up top with floor to ceiling windows to soak in the views.

If you like boating, Jordanelle or Deer Creek will have boat rentals as well as SUP. There is mild river rafting on both the Weber and Provo Rivers. Bike rentals, at a place like White Pine Touring, for paved trails to McPolin Farm or the Rail Trail, etc. Deer Valley may have their lift serviced trails open. You could at least take a chair up to see some views up top.

In Salt Lake there is the new Eccles Theater, though you'll just have missed the Hamilton tour. Red Butte Gardens and the Natural History Museum of Utah are side by side and a great combo. Liberty Park and Tracy Aviary is a nice stroll, and then you can walk to the nearby 9th & 9th area for some gelato or a meal at Publik, Mazza, Pago or an indy movie at The Tower Theater. Saturday mornings have the downtown Farmers Market. There is AAA baseball and MSL soccer, if those are of interest.

As for the hiking, there are literally months worth of options in the area. It all depends on what you would like; waterfall, lake, peak, forest, etc. A couple of gentle pitches with paved trails are up City Creek Canyon (SLC) and Mill Creek Canyon (SLC). In Mill Creek, you could do something like Porter's Fork down canyon to Church Fork. Or Little Water near the top of the canyon is fairly gentle. If you go to Snowbird, Bell Canyon Reservoir is about 3/4 of a mile. At Temple Quarry Trails are paved. Here is a decent guide for the Wasatch Front (SLC). https://www.wasatchhiker.com/ And a guide for the Park City area. https://utah.com/hiking/park-city

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Snowbird
Snowbird
Wasatch Range, UT
Provo
Provo
Wasatch Range, UT
Natural History Museum of Utah
Natural History Museum...
1,220 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Liberty Park
Liberty Park
282 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
The Tracy Aviary
The Tracy Aviary
413 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Pago
Pago
219 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
City Creek Canyon
City Creek Canyon
132 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Deepjan, if I were to pick a national park to visit for a few days, I would head to Moab and catch both Arches and Canyonlands. We loved Moab. The downtown is fun and has a bunch of neat little shops and restaurants. Arches is beautiful and would have lots of opportunities for easy walks, as would Canyonlands. Both are very different and fascinating to see.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in Utah, at least not that I have come across in my travels there.

Thanks for the graduation and Mother's Day wishes!

Mentioned in this post
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
156 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Thanks Connie, Shake and Stacy! You guys are awesome and gave me plenty of ideas regrading hikes and other activities. We've decided to spend couple of nights at Moab to explore Arches and Canyonlands. We both are vegetarian (not very picky eaters), can survive on subway if we have to. I'm assuming we have to pack food and water before heading there. Also it looks like temperatures will be in high 90's in June?

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

If you are planning on visiting both Arches and Canyonlands, you should have 3 nights in Moab. There are no food concessions inside either park. So you will need to bring food and water in with you. Buy a collapsible cooler and pick up food in Moab.

Yes, it will be in the 9Os or hotter. The best plan of attack is to get to the parks early, like by 8 am, leave during the hottest part of the day (about noon to 5 pm) for pool time or escape your a/c room for a few hours, then return for the evening. You will also beat the crowds by arriving early. Make hotel reservations NOW. If you can pick dates other than a weekend, you may avoid weekend crowds and possible events that inflate hotel room rates in Moab.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

I'm a non-strict vegetarian, if there is such a thing. I'll eat meat once every couple of weeks or if circumstances dictate (like dinner at a friends who didn't know I mostly vege). You shouldn't have a problem finding food options in Moab. It's a town of about 5,000 people but swells in the summertime. There should be plenty of restaurants that would work and usually every place has at least a pasta dish, pizza, veggie burger, salads, etc. Here is a list of options right from TripAdvisor.

https:/…Restaurants-g60724-Moab_Utah.html

All major roads to Moab are paved and well traveled. The major town at the halfway point (approx 2 hours) is called Price. Point being, it's not imperative to stock up on food and water, though it's nice to have what you need in the car. And it never hurts to have extra. If you are thinking of making your own meals in Moab, you may find better grocery options in Park City that will have a Whole Foods and Smith's among others. Moab does have a fairly large grocery store though, so you will have an option there.

We usually recommend at least three nights in the Moab area, as there is really a ton to see and do. You could quite easily spend more time there, if wanted.

Here is a nice reference. http://discovermoab.com/

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute trip! Need help

Good point about no concessions within the parks. You'll definitely want to bring food and drink with you.

Reply to: Last minute trip! Need help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted