We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

Utrecht Province...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

Hello there,

I will have 1 week to visit Utah's national parks, and planned to do the following:

(20th of July to 26th)

Day 1: Rent car from Las Vegas -> Drive to Zion (sleep in Hurricane)

Day 2: Zion

Day 3: Zion -> Drive to Bryce Canyon (sleep in Bryce Canyon city)

Day 4: Bryce Canyon -> Drive to Escalante, sleep there

Day 5: Grand Staircase-Escalante

Day 6: Grand Staircase-Escalante -> Drive to Capitol Reef (sleep in Torrey)

Day 7: Capitol Reef -> Drive back to Las Vegas (start late afternoon)

I mostly plan to do hiking and canyoneering-like activities, and rent a small non 4WD car.

- Is this a feasible itinerary?

- Am I spending too much/too less in one of the places?

- Should I remove some park?

- Does it make sense to sleep in the cities I listed or are they too far away/inconvenient?

Thank you very much for any advice you would want to share.

Cheers,

Daniele

Edited: 12 May 2018, 02:16
Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

its doable. when is the flight back home from Vegas?

For Zion--move to springdale. parking is a b!tch. springdale hotels you can take town shuttle bus to visitor center then transfer to bus into the park

With Bryce, the two best western hotels are just outside the park entrance and linked to the park bus shuttles.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

By staying in Hurricane, you will be dealing with the parking issue at the visitor center or paying for parking in the town of Springdale. You will need to be at the Zion visitor center no later than 8 am if you have any hope of a parking spot there. Otherwise, you’ll be paying for parking in Springdale which isn’t cheap...$22 for an entire day. If you stay in Springdale, you can leave your car at your hotel and use the free shuttle to the visitor center where it connects to the mandatory shuttle for the main Zion Canyon.

Grand Staircase Escalante is a vast very remote region that is most inaccessible by regular passenger car.. You don’t need two nights in Escalante. What are your plans for that region? You can probably get by with one night, if that. The hike to Calf Creek Falls is not far from Escalante. It’s a 6 mile round trip hike.

Use that second Escalante night in Torrey. There’s a lot of hiking in Capitol Reef. You’ll find plenty to do there with a full day.

If you haven’t booked hotel rooms, you need to do that NOW. Your dates overlap a Utah statewide holiday (July 24). Many Utah families will be taking advantage of a long weekend. If you land in Torrey on the weekend prior to the 24th, you will probably have a problem finding a room in one of the hand full of hotels in the region, We booked rooms in Torrey for the 20th thru the 23rd last October.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 03:58
Mentioned in this post
Zion Canyon Campground
Zion Canyon Campground
291 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
577 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,482 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Utrecht Province...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

Very useful answers, thanks!

Already booked all my stayings apart from the one in Escalante, since it has no free cancellation, while all the others do.

I was unsure whether to spend two nights in Gran Staircase-Escalante and one in Capitol Reef or the other way around. Out of those three days, I would have planned to do one day of hiking in each park, plus perhaps some activity like canyoneering on the third day. I'll probably follow your advice then, also cause I was curious to visit Fruita while in CR together with hiking.

Finally, the difference between Hurricane and Springdale for 2 nights was around 200 EUR, therefore I'll be glad to arrive as early as 7 AM to make up for that price difference :)

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,482 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Fruita
Fruita
153 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

FYI. Grand Staircase Escalante is not a national park. In fact the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument was broken in up into 3 smaller monuments last December. There's still a visitor center in Escalante though.

When you stop in Fruita, go to the Gifford House for pie.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
577 Reviews
Cannonville, UT
Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument
Grand Staircase...
325 Reviews
Utah
Fruita
Fruita
153 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Utrecht Province...
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?

Will surely do :)

Thank you again for your help then!

Reply to: 1 week Utah parks: does this itinerary make sense?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted