We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

Hi!

I need ideas. It has been 20+ years since I lived in Utah. My family of 4 (two girls ages 6 and 8) will be going to Utah the last week of August for a wedding. Since this will be our only family vacation this year I was hoping to take the first few days of that week doing something fun just the four of us (before we inundate ourselves with extended family and chaos). I have a couple city kids (ultimate city kids - as in NYC kids) so I was thinking it may be nice to get a hotel/cabin that is close to easy trails, has a pool and is close to some fun activities and affordable restaurants. I want things for us to do but not be go..go..go all the time. Most likely we will have our small 6 pound dog with us to so that kind of throws a kink in the chain. Does anyone have any fantastic suggestions on where to look or even hotels they recommend? I had started playing around with the idea of Kimball Junction in Park City - but wasn't sure if there were any places were we could walk to hiking. I guess we could always drive to take some hikes, but...

Price wise we were hoping to keep it under $150 a night (the closer to $100 the happier my wallet will be)

I would love any help or guidance you could give me!

Thank you so much!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Zion National Park...
124 Reviews
from USD 598.49*
USD 629.99
Sedona, Monument Valley, Antelope...
26 Reviews
from USD 529.00*
Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...
124 Reviews
from USD 511.00*
4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,775 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

You are on the right track by looking at Kimball Junction. But I would suggest that you look for places that are closer to Main Street and the Park City Mountain Resort. There are a lot of condos and hotels in Park City. You can easily get to hiking trails on the mountain or around town by using the free bus that circulates all thru town. Your pup may be an issue with booking hotel rooms. So you will need to carefully research pet policies of the hotels you are looking at.

Some hotels to look at the may hit your price point are the Doubletree Yarrow,, the Marriott hotels, Shadow Ridge, Park City Peaks Hotel and there are several others. Do a search on Trip Advisor for hotel listings. Book directly with the hotel.

Other activities in Park City are the Mountain Coaster, Alpine Slide at Park City Mountain. Jupiter Bowl is a great bowling alley out at Kimball Junction. Old Town Main Street has shops and restaurants. The Olympic Park out at Kimball Junction has a good museum.

Another place to look at is Midway Utah. It's about 15 minutes from Park City. MIdway is a quiet beautiful mountain valley community with easy access to hiking; boating and scenic drives. Look at Zermatt Resort and Homestead Resort. The Zermatt has an on site miniature golf course, a carousel and an indoor pool. The Homestead has a nice outdoor pool and lovely lush grounds.

You can rent bikes, ATVs etc. in Midway. If you want to do some boating, you can rent a boat at Deer Creek Resort.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

Have you looked at Jordanelle reservoir? The lodge there and the vacation condos might be an option if you like water activities, in August very appropriate. It will be very hot.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,775 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

Jordanelle Reservoir is just off the highway between Park City and Midway. Other than the lodge and condos mentioned, there are no other services there in way of places to eat or other things to do besides water sports. You can rent boats, SUPs, Jet Skis and kayaks at Jordanelle. IMO, it would be a nice day trip from either Park City or Midway if water sports interest you.

utah
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway

I think Park City will be a good fit for you. For your budget, I suspect Kimball Junction will be your best bet. It doesn't have the charm of downtown Park City, but the outlet malls are nice.

The good news is Park City is quite small and the free bus system is quite good - you can get around quite easily - and with an Urban background it will be a breeze.

Definitely plan to do so some driving. You'll want to visit the Mirror Highway past Kamas for a day - utahsadventurefamily.com/things-to-do-on-the… You'll want to head over to Jordanelle for a day for the aquazone- https://www.aquaxzone.com/. You may also want to do Guardsman pass and/or the Alpine Loop.

Reply to: 3-4 Nights in Northern Utah - Looking for Family Getaway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted