We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

Hello guys,

I am travelling from Cedar Citiy to Moab (May 22th) and want to know what the best route is.

Google Map says I-15 and I-70. But I am looking for a more scenic drive.

What about UT-14, then US-89 and via Kingston UT-62 and UT-24 to Capitol Reef an then to Moab.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Zion National Park...
124 Reviews
from USD 598.49*
USD 629.99
Sedona, Monument Valley, Antelope...
26 Reviews
from USD 529.00*
Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...
124 Reviews
from USD 511.00*
5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,553 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

That will be a long drive but the best way is to take SR14 to US89 as you noted. But take SR12 - it's the most scenic drive you'll do on your entire trip. Plan on seven to eight hours but well worth it.

Have fun.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

Thank you so much. Now I have got a plan :-). Is it worth driving the SR14? If not, maybe I will get an Hotel (way more expensive) near Mount Carmle junction after my visit in Zion the day before I drive to Moab. Then I would have more time for the nice scenic drive. But Cedar was my first opinion for getting well prepared with food and stuff for the journey. What do you think? Thanks again for your good advice!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,765 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

Maybe you should share your entire trip plan. Where are you staying the night before your Zion visit? Are you flying in to Las Vegas? If you are coming from Las Vegas, you can do your shopping in St. George. There's no reason to go all the way to Cedar City if you are planning on visiting Zion NP. You should stay much closer to Zion than Cedar, preferably in the town of Springdale so that you don't have an hour commute to the park or deal with the parking issue at the Zion visitor center or in the town of Springdale. Are you aware that you will be required to use the free shuttle from the visitor center to enter the main Zion canyon?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

Thank you for your reply, Connie. We arrive May 19th in Las Vegas by plane heading straight to St. George. Next two days we want to visit Zion NP and we willt spend the night 20th to 21th in Springdale.

First, I booked a hotel in Cedar Citiy for the night May 21th to 22th because of the opportunity of visiting Kolob Canyon in the Evening. But this will be closed due to restauration... May 22th should be one day to drive to Moab, where we will spend two more nights.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 23:19
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,765 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day

So you have one night in Springdale? You should really see if you can get a second night in Springdale so that you have a full day inside the park. Because of being required to use the free shuttle to access the park, it takes time to navigate the park. There are often wait times for the shuttle buses.

If you book a room at Mount Carmel Junction (there really is only one decent hotel there- the Best Western), you'll have to leave Zion well before dark so that you can arrive in Mount Carmel before sunset. The region between Zion and Mount Carmel is heavily populated with wildlife and in some places free range livestock. The road is very dark and you may not see an animal before it's too late to avoid a collision. Staying in Mount Carmel on the 21st will put you a little closer to Moab and will make that really long drive day, just long.

From Mount Carmel, you should drive 89 to SR 12 and on to I 70. You'll see some of the best scenery in Utah on the drive over highway 12.

Reply to: Best way from Cedar Citiy to Moab in one day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted