We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Hey there. I'm Tatiany, from Brazil.

This June my husband and I will be on a road trip in USA, from Las Vegas to Yellowstone, and then coming back to Vegas. Our itinerary for the return trip is pretty simple: West Yellowstone to SLC (5 hour driving), overnight in SLC, SLC to Las Vegas (6 hour driving). I'm looking for little stops on the way, so then we can stretch our legs and eat something. From West Yellowstone to SLC, I found the Snake River Greenbelt in Idaho Falls. There's a place like this on the way from SLC to Vegas?

Thanks in advance

Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
124 Reviews
from USD 598.49*
USD 629.99
3-Day Tour: Sedona, Monument Valley...
26 Reviews
from USD 529.00*
3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
124 Reviews
from USD 511.00*
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Just south of West Yellowstone, there's Upper and Lower Mesa Falls...gorgeous waterfalls with a visitor center. The stops don't take long to do.

We enjoyed huckleberry ice cream somewhere between there and Idaho Falls. It was just a little mom and pop ice cream place along the highway. I think that one also claimed to have potato ice cream, but I just couldn't do that. lol

Near SLC, you could make a side trip through the Alpine Scenic Loop in the American Fork Canyon...beautiful drive and there are some trailheads along the way if you want to hike too. If you have time for it, I highly recommend Timpanogos Cave. It's a 1.5 mile hike up the side of a mountain and then a cave tour. We did the 7am tour, which was the perfect time of day for it. We were back down by 11.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

It’s a 6 hour drive from SLC to Vegas. Detouring to go to Timpanogus Cave will add several hours to your day. You must also have advance reservations for that tour. You won’t places along I 15 in Utah like the greenbelt in Idaho Falls. This is the desert. You may enjoy a slight diversion from I 15 and visit historic Cove Fort. You can take a free tour in about an hour or less. Most of the small towns along I 15 have city parks. There’s a very nice city park in downtown St. George or you could walk the grounds of the Mormon Temple there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

There is nothing like the Snake River greenbelt between SLC and LV.

There are several small towns along the way. You could stop just south of Payson at the Big Red Barn https://www.rowleysredbarn.com

Not too far away is the Young Living Farm, where if you are lucky the lavender will be in bloom: https:/…mona-ut-lavender-farm

But if those are too soon you have Fillmore where there is the first Utah State Capitol museum or just south is the Cove Fort Museum, but no food there.

I highly recommend the almost half way stop in Beaver especially if the Dairy farmers of America is open where you can get ice cream and curd cheese. Although apparently they are working on moving the store to a new location closer to Cove Fort this summer. Beaver also has the Crazy Cow Cafe and the surprisingly good KanKun restaurants.

Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

We didn't need advance reservations for the Timpanogos Cave tour last year. They save some for walk-ins. We had several choices of tours available. I mentioned it because they said they had an overnight in SLC.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

You were probably able to get on a tour because you were there at 7 AM. I still think it's a lengthy diversion from SLC and Las Vegas. Getting to Timp Cave isn't exactly on route.

utah
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Some nice stops:

Scipio for a gas fill up. They have a small "petting zoo".

Beaver for a gas fill up. Get your "I heart Beaver" bumper sticker

Cove Fort lasting an hour - Free tour - about 10 min off the freeway

St. George - Pioneer Park/Red Cliffs Garden (This is my top suggestion for you and think it's exactly what you are after - about 5 minutes off the freeway - takes about an hour to explore.)

Little Jamaica near Mesquite NV

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Thank you all for being so kind. I'll research about those stops tonight and choose a few of them. Have a nice day.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

I think we are going to stop at Mesa Falls as Stacy suggested, and Idaho Falls. Then, from SLC to Vegas, looks like Scipio for a gas fill up and the "petting zoo" is a good idea, as Brian suggested, and also the Cover Fort. However, while exploring St. George area on Google maps, I saw this park called Quail Creek. The landscape is gorgeous. What do you think?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas

Everybody is trying to be nice about this (I heart Beaver bumper stickers?) but the truth is, it’s a pretty dreadful drive through a lot of desert.

Just be very mindful of drowsy driving. Miles and miles of straight highways through dried up land.

You could stop in St George or around there, there are some nice parks, such as Snow Canyon State Park

https:/…

If you have time in Salt Lake City, you could go see Park City, a cute well preserved western town in the mountains.

Reply to: Good little stop between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted