We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

On the Murray
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

We will be visiting the US from Australia for the first time in early May & will be based mostly in Dallas. We would like to visit small towns and also have a look at the countryside, we're not all that keen on coastal areas. Would really appreciate any suggestions. We are so looking forward to visiting, I want to see everything (impossible).

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

For things to do in our major cities see tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr… Also on that list is the pretty Hill Country near Austin and San Antonio which is high on everyone's list of recommended places to see in Texas.

Far West Texas has some spectacular scenery and interesting small towns if you are willing to make the drive. Here's a link with information tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18352-Far_West…

And here's a link to a current thread with ideas for a day trip from Ft. Worth tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28964-i75-k516815…

Edited: 20 February 2012, 00:04
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Totally agree with the above post.....y'all will enjoy this part of the state.

You may also want to order the free Texas Travel Guide, it has lots of valuable information in it. traveltex.com/plan-your-trip/travel-guide/or…

Welcome to Texas!!

Edited: 20 February 2012, 04:02
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Hi knr - I'm also from Down Under and intend visiting Texas - unfortunately the Travel Guide is only mailed to USA and Mexican residents - I can view it online but it is a bit of a pain - rather large!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Bobba, I grew up in Texas and go back to visit at least twice a year and, yet, I had never been to Far West Texas until this past week. It was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and I would highly recommend that you spend at least a week in that area.

We drove from Austin and spent time in Alpine, Marfa, Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, Terlingua, Ft. Davis National Site, the Davis Mountains State Park, and the McDonald Observatory. The link which Texhills supplied for what to see and do in Far West Texas is quite informative.

One place I suggest that you stay if you visit West Texas is Indian Lodge. It is in Indian Lodge State Park which is located within Davis Mountains State Park. The history of this place is quite interesting and we enjoyed our stay there very much. For more info on Indian Lodge, see: …state.tx.us/spdest/…

On the Murray
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Thanks for the tips etc. All very informative. It does make it a bit harder in a way to decide where to visit, so many Interesting places to have a look at.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

If you have 3 weeks in Texas, I definitely suggest you visit the Davis Mountains and Big Bend area. Also consider a drive up to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. (BTW, the formal name for Far West Texas is Trans-Pecos Region- as in everything west of the Pecos.)

Arrange for your lodging early as the choice places book up for the weekends well in advance.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

www.texashighways.com

may be a little more friendly on line...

don't forget, BBQ stops, honky tonks, rodeos. the Alamo

lots and lots of things to do in Texas

Edited: 23 February 2012, 19:21
Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Well, let me weigh in on East Texas. My little hometown of Winnsboro has got a lot going on and some great Bed and Breakfasts to stay in. Beautiful country.

www.winnsborotexas.com

just an hour east of Dallas. Home of the Autumn Trails!

westtexas
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

please go to Austin and the state capitol

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit during 3 weeks in Texas

Definitely Austin and its surrounding area to the west. Don't miss mt bonnell, bob bullock Texas state history museum. sunset at the Oasis -- bad food though. I enjoy the george washington carver museum and the johnson presidential library. The Bush presidential library is in College Station. Lakeway and barton creek are nice for lakeviews, hills, golf, and seeing some nice communities -- newer. For small towns, Fredericksburg is nice, Johnson city. Enchanted rock outside of Fredericksburg is fun and pretty. Salado is pretty nice. Dinosaur state park and inner space cavern are interesting if you like that kind of thing. If you want a local guide who has taken Japanese people to lots of destinations in the state, you could contact me through www.japanthink.com. I am I the Austin area but grew up in Houston. Hope your trip is great!