We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial research

Glasgow
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
Initial research

Hi, I use phone for internet so unable to access frequently asked questions. Sorry if this question has been asked many times before.

We have just returned from a Memphis/New Orleans trip and loved it. Am now thinking Nashville and Texas. Can you advise on where in Texas we should stay so I know how to focus my research?

Would probably be June or September- would these be good months to visit for weather i.e typically comfortably warm and dry?

We would be 2 adult couples in 40- 60 age range.

Probably spend about 6 full days in Texas - is this a good amount of time?

Likes: sightseeing, walking, places of historical interest, landscapes, food, music.

Not so bothered about: shopping, museums, clubbing.

We won't be driving so would like to stay somewhere we could stroll about of a day and evening but also with places of interest with easy public transport access within maybe 2 hours travel (but would be happy to travel further for one good day excursion).

I've tried to narrow down our likes and dislikes for an easier response. Thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Initial research

Hi I should have added we like going to bars in the evening - an oversight lol.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Initial research

Austin/San Antonio corrider a great cross section of Texas

www.texashighways.com

www.traveltex.com

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Initial research

Agree with the San Antonio/Austin area, there is so much to see and do.

Welcome back to the US!!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,055 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Initial research

Weather will be hot either June or September. I think you will have less chance of afternoon thunder showers in June. We are currently having high temperatures in the low 90°F range here in South Texas. September can be even warmer.

Is 6 days a good amount of time to visit Texas? Well no, not really. Texas is almost 3 times the size of the United Kingdom. You can easily fill 6 days in the Austin-San Antonio-Hill Country triangle. Probably some of the best public transport as well. You can bus between Austin-San Antonio but will need a tour if you wish to negotiate the Hill Country if not driving. Driving is easy (it really is easy to adapt to opposite side driving) and would allow you to see and do much more, especially in the Hill Country.

You will find great bars in both cities.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Initial research

Hi which of the 2 places would you recommend we base ourselves in- San Antonio or Austin? Thanks

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Initial research

First, public transport, aside from buses inside cities, is wretched. Rail is sparse and infrequent. However, since I'm going to heartily agree that San Antonio, Austin and the Hill Country is the destination, I will point out that it happens that AMTRAK does run San Antonio to Austin at 07:00 and returns at 18:30. There are buses, but they are not convenient.

Both San Antonio and Austin have perfectly adequate city bus systems.

Now, why that destination? Most people come to Texas because they want to see Texas, that is, they want to see something of the Texas of the mind, the iconic things of the state. Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston, for all their features, are giant megacities with little of Texas about them. San Antonio is the old city, the original Spanish colonial administrative center. It maintains all the cultures that went into creating Texas. It is colorful and lively. It has a wealth of unique things to do, like the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, a sort of distributed urban national park of the beautiful old Spanish missions. When you're in San Antonio, you know you're in Texas.

San Antonio is also the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, arguably the best we have. Without a car, you need to use a tour service, but it's worth the effort. San Antonio and Austin and the towns in between are at the northern edge of the coastal plain. The land rises sharply in the west end of all of them to become the Balcones Escarpment, a high, rocky, rolling landscape of small and smaller towns.

Austin is another story. Austin is not iconic old Texas, but it has become iconic new Texas. It is a high-tech center, and its fortes are live music and food, both of which it has in abundance. It's worth a taste. Not much more, unless you really want to immerse in days of music (and there's enough to do that).

Without a car, that's the story. The magnificent Big Bend is out of play as a car is absolutely required. That's the other place I take people when I want to show them my state. If you have to pick one place only, make it San Antonio. Austin does not merit six days, and you'd miss any real Texas experience.

Without a car, six days is plenty adequate for San Antonio and a day tour into the Hill Country and perhaps a day trip to Austin. Now to what is sometimes the issue for UK folks. Fair plottin with a vengeance. The end of summer is the hottest time of the year, meaning it will be hot. Very hot. 38C would be perfectly within normal. 41C is possible. But as they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes. We dress light, move from shade to shade, and serve lots of ice with the drinks. And like all southern cities, the cool evening is for strolling, and San Antonio has the Riverwalk.

texashillcountry.com/cities-in-the-texas-hil…

https://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

https:/…d5021-a16416

https://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

Edited: 15 May 2018, 23:52
Glasgow
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Initial research

Wonderful reply. San Antonio it would be then - I'm more drawn to old Texas rather than New tech Texas. Thanks.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,055 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Initial research

Martha -- Methinks you have chosen wisely. 5th Gen's points are always spot on... Do use Uber and or Lyft for short journeys within the city. Very convenient and for a party of 4 will not cost much more than city buses. Easy enough even if you choose not to have a cell phone data plan as there is free wifi everywhere.

I do find MegaBus relatively easy enough to use between San Antonio and Austin. Some don't like that the company has no brick and mortar stations but pick up and drop off in unusual and not always the most accessible locations...still not too bad if you use a ride share service or taxi from drop off locations. The one in San Antonio is about a 10 minute cab ride from the city center on Probandt. Amtrak is more comfortable but a bit slower and not always on time.

And by the way, why does the UK seem to use Celsius when describing winter temps and Fahrenheit in the summer? Oh, never mind. Enjoy your planning.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Initial research

Thanks for travel info. I will start a note on my phone for tips as I did for my recent holiday.

Btw I'm not sure what you mean about Celsius v Fahrenheit- the UK uses Celsius. Though us older uns do have a tendency to mentally convert to Fahrenheit - 78 degrees sounds far better than 25 especially to us Scots who have more than our fair share of cold and rain! Lol

Lake Jackson...
Level Contributor
106 posts
210 reviews
10. Re: Initial research

A bit late to the party here, but I just want to add that 5thGen is spot on. San Antonio is where you want to be based. Not just for all the reasons he gave, but also because you said you liked New Orleans, and it is the city that would most closely resemble that experience, and yet entirely different. Both cities have a rich history in old colonial powers (Spain and Spain/France, respectively). Both have a lot of old architecture. Both have active street/nightlife (though Austin's Second Street District would more closely resemble the heart of the French Quarter, the Riverwalk has some pretty lively bars too). I agree with the Uber suggestion. If you like to bicycle, there are rental bicycles you can pickup/drop-off at various points in town, and you can ride these to the first missions on the mission trail. Plan to immerse yourself in the Texas and especially Tejano (Tex-Mex) culture, and you'll enjoy the music, color, art, food and people of San Antonio.

Reply to: Initial research
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted