We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
342 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

Trying to come up with some new things to do with my parents this year since it will be their 9th visit to see us in Oregon.

Mom loves waterfalls so I was thinking Silver Falls SP but we have only been there once in the late winter/early spring.

Because of Dad, requirements are:

- Fairly level ground

- Max 1/4 mile from parking area to a waterfall***

- Minimal stairs

- Benches or things he could sit on a plus, especially if there will be a lot of walking

*** The 1/4 mile thing is what he's most comfortable walking at a time since his leg infection/knee surgery.

If there are benches along the way, he can walk farther but we do like to limit the overall amount of walking he would do like that to 2 or 3 miles.

To give a better idea - last year going through both the space and aviation portions of Evergreen (we do this every year) left him sore the next day even with him taking his doctor-approved max doses of OTC pain relievers (4 - 6 extra pills). That was with him sitting down for 30 minutes to eat, sitting down for a few minutes every 30 minutes and sitting to watch the short movies.

Any waterfalls that meet those requirements and are fairly spectacular in the last 2 weeks of July and the 1st week or so of August?

And that would justify the gas used to get from Beaverton to the park to look at them?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

The problem with Silver Falls SP is that the waterfalls are in a loop. There are some level areas, but you have to get to them and it doesn't sound like your dad will be able to do it. The easiest waterfall for most people to get to is South Falls, the first one you come to from the parking lot. The path is paved and people go up and down the trail in flip-flops, pusing baby carriages. Unfortunately, everything that goes down has to come back up and that might be too much for your father.

If you want take him to a truly impressive waterfall, try Sahalie Falls. It's a beautiful drive along the McKenzie River on #126 from Eugene/Springfield. The waterfall is just a few steps from the parking lot and is one of the most powerfu cataracts you'll ever see in such a comparatively small area. Several years ago I saw a crew filming a movie about Irish leprechauns there, which will give you some idea of the mist and lush greenness of the falls and their basin. You can follow a trail down to another pretty waterfall, but that would be too much for your dad. He'll love Sahalie Falls.

. Just another mile or so up the highway is Clear Lake, where you can either picnic on the banks of this pristine beauty or grap a snack in the cafe. You can then merge with #20 and double back toward Salem and the I-5,

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

Been awhile since we were at Silver Creek Falls. As I recall you can get some view of south falls without much walking, and I think falls at other end from parking lot.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 10:49
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

True, you can overlook the South Falls from the railing at the parking lot. The big attraction of South Falls is that it's the first of three where the trail goes behind the falling water. That experience you can't get from above. Is it worth the drive there just for that? I think the payoff is greater at Sahalie.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

It's a short, level walk from the Historic Area parking lot to the top of the South Falls. It's an even shorter walk from the parking lots at the North Falls and Winter Falls. The other 7 falls require some hiking to view.

Edited: 17 March 2012, 02:12
Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
342 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

I'll do some more research on the 3 falls at Silver Falls State Park and decide if I want to mention it.

Sahalie Falls is a fairly long drive (over 2.5 hours one-way) so I'm not sure that would be something they'd want to do.

They are driving from Central IL, up to Glacier NP, to Beaverton and then I can't remember if they are driving home through UT this year (Zion, Bryce, etc.).

6. Re: Best Easy Waterfalls in Silver Falls State Park in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:42