We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

13 posts
Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

Hi all!

I'm flying into Portland for a weekend in June, and then I'll be renting a car for a few days to drive down to Crater Lake. However, I want to make a road trip of it and stop in one or two towns along the way. I'll be leaving Portland bright and early Monday morning (though this may change to Sunday), and I'll need to be back around noon on Thursday.

I also want one of the towns to be on the beach. Thinking maybe Newport, Manzanita, or Depoe Bay.

I really want to do some day hikes, but also be able to unwind in town with some good beer and maybe live music. I also love animals, so whale watching in Depoe Bay or the Newport Aquarium could be fun.

So, any recommendations on must-see stops to make between Portland and Crater Lake? Also any recommended Routes?

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
305 reviews
1. Re: Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

You are flying into and out of PDX and you have a noonish return flight Thursday, correct ? You have Sunday to Thursday to drive a loop including Crater Lake Lake, correct? A loop route would do that. One of the days would require 6 houtrs total on the road, one would be 4 hours total on the road and the others are less than 3 hours. Interested?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

If you leave Monday morning and return Wednesday night you have just 3 days; a Sunday departure obviously gives you more time. If your flight is at noon Thursday, you'll have to turn in your car and get to PDX by 10

. The flight will board a half hour before scheduled departure. This is why we usually recommend staying near the airport the prior night.

I suggest heading for Yachats first day. Take 18 to Lincoln City and 101 south to Depoe Bay, Newport and Yachats. Day 2, 101 to Reedsport and 38/138 through Roseburg to Diamond Lake Resort. Day 3, go in north entrance to Crater Lake and out south to I-5 and back to PDX. Allowing for a couple hours at Crater Lake, your final day will involve about 9-10 driving hours.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

Depending on when in June you do this, the north entrance to Crater Lake might still be closed. If so, you'll have to go to Grants Pass or Medford the night before. Check the Crater Lake NP website to find out what's open.

4. Re: Good stops between Portland and Crater Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2018, 15:17