We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Hi, I am planning a trip to the US for next Christmas/January from Australia.

We are traveling with our two boys (5 and 12).

Wanting to (try to) have a white christmas :-)

Also thought Time Square for New Years Eve would have to be a bucket list event.

SO....

Was wondering if someone could suggest some good apartment style accommodation for 8 days (25th dec - 2 Jan) around Time Square (hoping we could maybe walk quickly down for the countdown - not sure if this is too much to ask). Realise that we may need to be paying around 300-400 a night (eeck)

Also wondering on airfare from New York to Las Vegas (next leg of trip) - should I try to book these in Australia or would I be better getting them locally in the States?

Thanks in advance

Cath

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

You're not allowed to just walk down to the countdown. The police won't let you. Also, I don't want to discourage you, but white Christmases are really rare in New York.

Post on the New York City forum for hotel help, but realize that Times Square is not a place for minors.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

The only legal apt. style accommodation in Times Square is the Doubletree Guest suites which will likely be quite expensive at that time. Radiocityapartments.com

nycsalisbury.com

are budget options within a 10-15 min. walk but totally agree ESPECIALLY for the 5 yr old, Times Square is not a place for kids on NYE.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Search the New York City forum (not this forum, which is NY State) for info about NYE in Times Square to understand why we're discouraging you. Even without a 5 year old, it is an ordeal.

NYC is a great place to be around Christmas, but don't expect snow. A white Christmas in NYC is pretty rare.

You should not wait until last minute to book your NY to LV air, so do it from Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Ok, thanks for your replies.

Sorry, still getting used to the forum heirachy {oops}.

Can somebody please recommend a more "family friendly" area for New Year and possibly a white Christmas - maybe Washington DC?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Washington DC is south of NYC so the possiblity of a "White Christmas" is limited (unless you go to Marion Barry's for the day - then maybe he can hook you up).

How about Aspen, Colorado?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

For a white Christmas, you have to go north, not south, or to a ski resort where they will manufacture snow. Someplace north of Boston, say up in Vermont or New Hampshire, will be more likely to have snow than NYC or DC. Even then it's not a guarantee.

For New Year's Eve in NYC with kids, many of us recommend the fireworks in Central Park.

Washington...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Ummm.. I am not sure WHERE you are thinking of.. but Christmas in NY- Upstate especially- are ALWAYS White! But I DO agree NYC with small children is not always a good idea.

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

hi my brother is over in new york at the moment and we skyped them on christmas day which was christmas eve to them and as we spoke it started to snow so beautiful ,, though when i FB my nephew later on he did say the snow had finished but then about 2 days later he posted a photo of them playing in central park in the full snow so iam thinking you should be ok ,, iam wanting to go over for christmas and new year my self next year isiter in law got an appartment on 5th ave for $170 a nite so iam hoping if we go i can get the same app and price it was right opp empire state building so cool,, i wanted to go the time square for the ball drop but doesnt sound to kid friendly as i have 3 ,,, maybe fireworks at central park sounds better,,, iam just hoping my budget lets me do this holiday my brothers budget waS 40 grand but he did do a bit which i wanna do to good luck to you luv

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

Hello, Im also going to New york for a white christmas and new years. Im booking hotel Carter, its alot cheaper then normal times square accomodation.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas/New Year 2013 in New York

"Im booking hotel Carter, its alot cheaper then normal times square accomodation."

Yes, it would be. I wonder why....