We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roomarama

San Francisco
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Roomarama

Has anyone had any experience with renting apartments from Roomarama in New York? Many thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from USD 175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,113 reviews
from USD 199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
998 reviews
from USD 83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,387 reviews
from USD 36.00*
New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roomarama

It appears they are a place that lets anyone offer their apt. to visitors.

While you may hear stories of people that got great deals this way - I strongly would advise against it:

1) Because it is actually not legal to rent apts. like this in NYC.

2) I've seen way too many people on the sidewalks with their suitcases and keys that don't work.

I know that NYC hotels are almost twice as expensive as other cities, but it is really worth the comfort of not chancing it. Try starting your search here:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-New_York_City_…

or check out the B&B's:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60763-c2-New_York_Ci…

If you want to save money here is one of the more popular (and legal) hostels:

http://www.chelseahostel.com/

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roomarama

I'm sorry, I should have asked this to begin with, because the recommendations would change-

Are you planning on moving to New York? or an extended stay longer than 30 days?

Let me know.

an additional good web site for short term deals is:

www.travelzoo.com

Edited: 14 September 2010, 01:50
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roomarama

I agree with everything MTI said - in addition, you should post these questions on the New York City forum in the future. To reiterate: DO NOT look for a short term rental in NYC - they are illegal, and often scams. We can help youi find a legal hotel or apartment-style hotel that meets your needs.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roomarama

Thanks, everyone. There used to be at least one legitimate company that rented out apartments in NYC -- these were corporate apartments for the most part. I used this company several times without incident, and as far as I know they were totally legal. They''ve gone out of business, and now I've noticed Roomarama and apartments2book (based in England). Seems to me that someone who's had a good experience with one of these businesses would say so! I typically stay in hotels but the prices in Oct/Nov are just exhorbitant.

Boston
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roomarama

I've had great success with Roomarama. Rented three times on the UWS with a woman named Laura. She has about 10 different rentals. Saved a bundle, had my own kitchen, she leaves info on restaurants/delivery/etc. nearby, available during my stay for any questions...and best of all, no NYC hotel taxes.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roomarama

And almost certainly illegal.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roomarama

guys, so what do these posts mean? i am close to booking a large SOHO loft through them. are you all saying i shouldnt?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roomarama

Yes, we are saying you shouldn't.

Surfers Paradise...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Roomarama

I used roomarama to stay in a NYC apartment. We had so much trouble - I strongly advise you don't use them - it's worth paying a bit more money and staying somewhere decent.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Roomarama

"it's worth paying a bit more money and staying somewhere decent."

And legal.