We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

My 17 yo daughter just received her first passport today. She and mom will be flying two England in about five weeks. The problem is that the first letter of her last name is wrong. My question is: Can I book the tickets (British Air) with her correct info, including the correct spelling of her last name, and presented the corrected passport at check-in - even thought the new passport number will not match the ID number on the booked flight info. I'd really like to book now to lock in lower rates.Thank you all in advance for any help that you can offer. Much appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from USD 175.00*
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,192 Reviews
from USD 89.99*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,012 Reviews
from USD 109.95*
2 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,874 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

When you book the flight they do not ask for your passport number. If I understand you correctly the traveler has an incorrect passport due to a name mistake. You are planning on getting the passport reissued in the correct name which will then mean the passport number will change.

Presuming this is your plan simply make the airline reservation in the correct name which needs to 100% match the passport. Don't worry about the passport number as they don't need that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

If you need to correct the passport in the next few weeks you need to get an in person appointment at the passport office in NYC and plan on spending the whole day there getting it corrected and processed. Be sure to bring all the necessary documents needed for the original process.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted