We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

New York City, New...
7 posts
Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

Hey Guys;

My 17 yo daughter just received her first ever passport - and the first letter of her last name is wrong. I'd like to book the flight to England now, to lock in cheaper rates. She's traveling with mom, so we're talking about two tickets at lower rates. The flight is in about 2 months. My question is: Can we book the flight with the airline (British Air) using all of her info, including the correct spelling of her last name, and then show up at check-in with the new, corrected passport - which will, of course, have a different passport number. I appreciate any help, and thank you in advance!

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
202 reviews
1. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

Yes, no problem

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

No airline really needs your passport number until the day before you check in, I believe; they just like to know it sooner. Some people don't even get their passport delivered to them until 2 days before their flight, for example. It just makes the airline's life easier to know it a week or two in advance. They like knowing they won't have to take you back because the other country rejected you.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,716 posts
3. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

If you live in NYC you might want to see if you can get the corrected passport via the office downtown https:/…new-york.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,908 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

I would want confirmation from someone that you can get the passport changed in a month.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
1 review
5. Re: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?

You should be able to get it back in a month. They one misspelled my first name and it was fairly painless.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 04:51
Reply to: Passport Mistake - Can I Book My Flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted