We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Hamptons

Gartcosh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
New York to Hamptons

Hi we are staying in NYC for 4 nights then hiring a car and driving to Montauk. I am trying to find out what the best route is to go. Should I go by bridge or tunnel and if so which one? I am trying to figure out where to hire a car from and the location so that we don't need to do a huge amount of driving through the city. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
4 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to Hamptons

If you don't want to drive in the city then consider taking the Airtrain to JFK airport and picking up the car there. You would then drive East on the Belt Parkway which then connects to the Southern State Parkway. Continue East on the Southern State until you get to the Sagtikos Sunken Meadow Parkway and take that North for about 2 miles to the Long Island Expressway. Take the Long Island Expressway East to Exit 70 which is route 111 (there is another route 111 at exit 56, you don't want that one). Exit 70 South about 4 miles to Montauk Highway and the Montauk Highway East to the end.

I would use Waze to fine my way.

Mentioned in this post
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
The Montauk Beach House
The Montauk Beach House
243 Reviews
Montauk, NY
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to Hamptons

By definition, the further out you go by train or bus the less driving you'll have. You could, of course, take the train or the Hampton Jitney bus all the way to the Hamptons or Montauk. But another alternative would be to take the Long Island Rail Road to Ronkonkoma or Babylon. That's about as far out as the faster trains go. At either location I'd think you could get a pickup (and then a drop off at the end of your stay) through Enterprise Rent a Car. At minimum, I'd price out these alternatives.

Mentioned in this post
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
213 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Ronkonkoma
Ronkonkoma
Long Island, NY
Babylon
Babylon
Long Island, NY
Gartcosh, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to Hamptons

Thank you for this. This was an option I was thinking of but if I did pick up car in the city do you know the best place to pick up, would this be midtown or downtown? And what would then be the best route out the city?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to Hamptons

If you are driving out of the city I would get a car on the upper east side and take the FDR up to the RFK bridge and then take the parkway from there as far out on the island as you can and then switch to the LIE which goes further (but has tons of trucks and is a bear to drive nearer the city). Make sure you understand the hours the office is open for both pick up and return. And to avoid driving out on Friday or back on Sunday - or the rip can be interminable - rather than just the usual 3 hours.

Reply to: New York to Hamptons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted