We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

Hi!

I'm starting to rack up a significant (well, to me anyway!) AA miles and if you stay within 500 miles, the trips are significantly cheaper to redeem.

What are some good spots within that radius that would be worth the flight and a good stay for maybe 5 days or so?

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
1. Re: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

Depends on the time of year. Portland or Bangor, Maine are great in the summer. Richmond, VA might be nice, but I would avoid in the summer.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

Boston; Philadelphia; Portland, Maine; Toronto (or Buffalo and rent a car); Washington, DC, Montreal, QC; Quebec, QC; maybe Charleston, SC; Nashville, maybe, Cleveland for the RnR Hall of Fame (and much more), Syracuse, for the Finger Lakes Region, Providence (for Cape Cod and Newport, RI). Really, just pick a place you like and see if it's cheap for you to go there.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

If you've never been, five-day destinations IMHO would be Montreal or Washington, DC. Boston four days tops. Other than a beach destination in summer, wouldn't consider anything else within 500 miles to be worth spending more than three full days.

I'm by no means an expert on airline miles--but if you're able to use them for hotel rooms, it may be smarter to do that on a trip to DC or Boston, and rely on train or bus to get there and back.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 05:47
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,422 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

What are your interests? Cities? Nature? Museums? Beach? ...

When are you thinking of going?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,183 posts
5. Re: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?

Flights of less than 500 miles are often more of a pain than they are worth. No way I would fly to Boston or DC - when train is just and fast, so cheap and so much more comfortable. I would look at the far end - but do check where there are AA flights to for such a short distance. Agree I wold use for hotel rooms if possible.

Reply to: Destinations within 500 miles of NYC...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted