We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cashless cafes?!

wigan
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
Cashless cafes?!

Eek! Ive exchanged a decent amount of cash into dollars for my 4 night trip to nyc at the end of may. However ive just read an article that some restaurants(including sweetgreen and chloe which i wanted to try as I'm mainly veggie) only take card. I really dont like taking my card out and about when on holiday as budgetting is just easier with cash

Are many places like this? Im worried ill come back with cash ive not been able to spend and had to select food places due to the form of payment they take rather than menu choices. Just seems mad in a tourist city

5 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: Cashless cafes?!

You will probably get more of a response if you post in the New York City forum. This is the forum for New York State.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
2. Re: Cashless cafes?!

You have posted in the general forum for the state of New York. If you are referring to NYC, then repost in the NYC subforum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763…

NYC is not just a "tourist city" and anyway how do you know most tourists don't like to pay with a card. Did you take a survey?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Cashless cafes?!

You'll find far more places in NYC that are cash only than the other way around. Sweetgreen made the news specifically because how unique the change is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,072 posts
4. Re: Cashless cafes?!

The US is basically a credit economy (either credit cards or debit cards) for most people; cash is generally used only for small random purchases (street food, newsstands, random tips. I know for some reason people from the UK seem to be tied to cash and have a distaste for credit cards (and apparently our banking systems work very differently too) since people from many other countries are much more comfortable with credit.

wigan
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Cashless cafes?!

Hi i just dont want to take my credit or debit card out with me on holiday in case i lose it. I think most are the same from the uk, we are a cautious nation!! But at home i pay with 90%of purchases on debit or credit csrd

Reply to: Cashless cafes?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted