We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

Hi Guys,

Travelling to NY for the first time in 2 weeks and was wondering if anybody knows what metrocard I need to buy (and where from).

I'm landing in JFK airport terminal 4 and travelling to Manhattan.

I've read the metrocards you can get here cant be used for 7 day unlimited travel which i was hoping to get (to use for travel around NY during my trip).

Can anyone advise me how I get to manhattan via the subway from JFK Airport Terminal 4 and what I need to buy in terms of metrocards / fares.

Thanks for your help! :)

11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
27,073 posts
1. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

It depends on exactly where you’re going, but the general sequence of events will be:

-Board the AirTrain at your terminal.

-Disembark the AirTrain at either Jamaica or Howard Beach Station, depending on your final destination.

-Buy a Metrocard with at least the $5 cash fare to pay for the AirTrain on it. (You cannot buy 7-day cards at the machines inside the AirTrain fare zone.)

-Exit the AirTrain fare zone using the Metrocard you just bought. You’ll want to use the turnstiles that say “to Street,” not the ones that say “to subway.”

-Go to the Metrocard vending machine outside the subway fare zone. Buy your 7-day card here.

-Enter the subway turnstiles. Go to Manhattan.

If you have an exact destination, I can be more specific.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 21:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

Hi BrooklynBrdge

Really appreciate the handy advice!

I'd like to get to Penn Station from JFK Terminal 4 ideally as this is really close to where I'll be staying.

Thanks

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,465 posts
3. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

For this trip the Airtrain to Jamaica jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train and taking the E train is probably easiest/fastest http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Edited: 14 May 2018, 22:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

Super, thank you very much Kaye, really appreciate it.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,288 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

We have always bought our AirTrain card and 7 day unlimited Metro Card from the news agent kiosk on the left just prior to exiting the Jamaica AirTrain platform. No messing with the machines and no waiting in line. I believe it is cash only however. If there are 3 or more of you you can save money by buying a 10 trip JFK AirTrain card which can be used by up to 4 people (before waiting 18 minutes). It has been over a year since our last visit so things may have changed but this has worked best for us.

Exit platform and follow signs to the E Train that will take you all the way to Penn Station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
6. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

How close will you actually be staying to Penn Station? NYC has more than 450 subway stations and it's possible there is one more convenient to you than the E train near Penn Station. (And if you are staying right at Penn Station do NOT stay in the Hotel Penn, which is a complete dump.)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,465 posts
7. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

If they wish to travel by Airtrain and then the subway from JFK to the vicinity of Penn station any other subway route (besides the E from Jamaica or A from Howard Beach) will require a transfer of trains which might not be more convenient than walking a bit extra from Penn Station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

We’ll be staying at West 43rd street, if that makes any difference.

Thank you to everyone for their invaluable insight up to now!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,465 posts
9. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

If West 43rd Street is your correct destination, Penn Station is not the nearest subway stop - for 43rd street get off the subway at 42nd street instead.

(Or is 43rd a typo for 34th which is near Penn Station?)

See the subway map linked in #3 above.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?

Hi,

Yep, definitely West 43rd Street.

That's super, I'll get off at 42nd street, in that case!

Thanks again

Reply to: Subway from JFK Airport T4 - Manhattan - Metrocard / Fares?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted