We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

My flight arrived in JFK at 8:30 PM via American Airlines. I then have a connecting flight to Lisbon at 11:25 PM (via TAP). The tickets were booked separately, so i have to pick up my baggage and if I miss my flight they’re not responsible. American Airlines is terminal 8 and my TAP flight departs fro terminal 5 so I’ll have to the AirTrain. Will 3 hours be enough time for me to pick up my luggage, take the air train and go through security?

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
148 Reviews
from USD 175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,088 Reviews
from USD 83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,181 Reviews
from USD 57.00*
6 replies to this topic
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

no

book an earlier flight

find a new travel agent

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,264 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

If everything goes on schedule you should be OK.

If it doesn’t, you know the risk you’re taking of having to buy a new ticket with TAP.

You should contact TAP to see what their cutoff time is for checked luggage.

It’s usually 60 minutes. But if it’s 90, you’re pushing things.

Raleigh, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

I just found another flight that arrives half and hour earlier in New York, sonid have 3 1/2 hours to make the connecting flight. I know that’s only an extra 30 minutes, but do you reckon that’d help a bit? I’ll call TAP tomorrow

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15,879 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

If you are coming in on a domestic fight - which is what it looks like, you have 2 potential issues:

You incoming flight will be late (have you checked the on time records for the 2 flights in question?)

Your luggage may be delayed (this is very common at JFK due to the massive number of flights at the same time)

If neither happens you should be fine. If either, or both does, you may well be up a creek without a paddle - but you knew that when you bought the tickets.

Separately, how much time do you have on your return flights? You need more there since you have to allow for 2 hours from wheels down on your incoming flight to get through Immigration, pick up luggage, get through Customs and get to your ongoing terminal 2 hours in advance.

The best thing you can do to help prevent problems is not to check any luggage.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
1,114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

Can you travel to Lisbon with just a carry on bag and a backpack (and no checked luggage)? This would give you more time to make the connecting flight. If your first flight is late and the security line is long, you may miss the TAP flight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?

While we know that anything can go wrong, IMHO 3.5 hours is fine. You could have 6 hours and end up on a cancelled flight. Your bags should be off the plane no more than 30 minutes after you get off. When you get to baggage claim you would probably have no more than a 15 minute wait. Could it be 2 hours, sure, but that is not likely.

You will be at the next terminal within 30 minutes (probably 15) of when you get your bags.

Reply to: Will 3 hours be enough to make my connecting flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted