We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas time or Summer???

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas time or Summer???

We live in Texas and would like to plan a first time trip to the NE part of the country. Our dilemma is, it's easier for us to make this road trip over 2 1/2 weeks during Christmas break from school rather than summer.

We'd like to make this trip through Hershey, PA, into NYC for 4 days and up to Boston for a few days.

I know there's plenty to see and do but I'd really love some feedback as to whether we'd regret doing it in the winter rather than summer.

Any advice is appreciated ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,257 Reviews
from USDย 89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from USDย 175.00*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,096 Reviews
from USDย 109.95*
5 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas time or Summer???

The area in which you plan to cover is pretty broad and I would say that most of my comments are based on weather and opportunity. I am not sure what you mean by winter but you mention Christmas which really isnt the winter winter where you are going - that is Jan and Feb. It is more like fall and not terribly cold unless you hit cold spell. New York and Boston at Christmas are some of the prettiest places you can be in the country that time of year. Both are decorated and fun and the tempos of the cities are great. There is always plenty to do this time of year but buy a broadway show ticket now and dont get there and try t wait in the last minute ticket lines - not fun. I am not sure why you listed Hershey PA but if it is for the park, I would say it wont be anything special relative to others you can go to and you can enjoy the candy factories in the winter too - Lancaster Amish country is an interesting trip too. The summer is a totally different experience in all three cities. Hershey Park in the summer is a hot tourist trap and we stay away from amusement parks with that kind crowd and especially Hershey since it is small. New York is VERY hot even on cool days as the brick, glass and asphalt hold heat and you bake with the humidity - the subway system isnt air conditioned either - I lived in the city for 7 years so trust me on that. Most New Yorkers head to the shore or Hamptons every weekend to escape. Boston in the summer is better and not as hot - plenty of pretty shore line places to enjoy the harbor and history etc, If you go to Boston for the summer, however, you need to go to Cape Cod and enjoy the shore and the numerous small New England towns. Ok, that is about it for me this time :) You will have a great time at either spot but seeing big cities during Christmas time and the tree at Rockefeller Center and all the windows decorated is magical. Enjoy!!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas time or Summer???

THANK YOU for all is this awesome information! I'm so happy to hear Christmas time would be an enjoyable time to visit! I know it'll be cold and we're good with that, I just wondered if the scenery would be so drab that we'd regret.

Hershey, PA seems to be on our way driving from Texas. Maybe just making a short stop there to visit a candy store or two (Hershey is my forever favorite!!!) and take some photos.... Then we could be on our way to NYC. Being that we're doing a road trip rather than just flying in, we wanted to see as much as possible along the way.

If you could, would you mind giving me some insight on staying outside of NYC/Manhatten (I'm thinking across the river in NJ), for cost and ease of driving. We could then take the bus or such in for some of our sightseeing. Ideas???

Another thing, we've never been in that part of the country and it may be a while until we're back, we want to drive up to Boston and such and see the sights. We have a total of 13 days available for this trip.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas time or Summer???

I forgot to add, in going to Boston, we'd love to see some of the small New England towns,as you mentioned. I've got some homework to do but I'm sure it'll all come together ๐Ÿ˜

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas time or Summer???

To see NYC You should stay in Manhattan. Traffic is truly horrendous at that time of year so trekking in and out via bus or even train will be a big waste of both time and money. Better to park the car in Jersey for as many nights as you will be in NYC and take the ferry or train in to your hotel in the center of the city - where all of the action is. Hope you will be here between the 15th and the 27th or so - when rates are better - earlier they are SUPER high and NY Eve and the night or 2 before are the most expensive hotel nights of the year.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas time or Summer???

I would agree that when you are visiting NYC you should stay in Manhattan. You can park your car in a Jersey City lot and then take a ferry over to the city which is a nice way to get a unique look at the city too. It will be more expensive but since you have never been and may never be back, you need to go for it. The hassle factor of traveling back and forth may be too much but whatever works. There are place like the Double Tree near Time Square that arent over the top expensive but I am not exactly sure. Stay in Jersey City if not so you can walk to a ferry like many of the commuters do and its 10 mins.

As for Boston, there are a ton of great small towns and tourist books are full of them. Try to stay in a bed and breakfast or an AirBnB.

Reply to: Christmas time or Summer???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted