We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC heading north - Toll roads question

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC heading north - Toll roads question

We will renting a car on last day trip to Manhattan and are planing the following trip:

Manhatan->Ithaca->Niagra falls->Hershey's->Amish->Washington DC.

The rental car company (Dollar) is charging a very high price (~ 25$ a day) for using the EZ-PASS.

I'm wondering if we can avoid taking the EZ-PASS or there are some all electronic tollway on our trip? I also thought if there are only very few such roads, it will worth paying the extra 15$ fee per road, when not having the EZ-PASS, instead of paying the high amount for the EZ-PASS?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
3 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC heading north - Toll roads question

I don't think you'll have any tolls that can't be paid in cash.

You'll leave NY over the George Washington Bridge which has no tolls westbound. The only other toll between NY and Ithaca would be the one dollar toll crossing the Delaware River on I-80 between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and that can be paid in cash.

Between Ithaca and Niagara Falls you are likely to use the NY State Thruway for at least part of your trip (although this could be avoided.) In any event, NY Thruway tolls can be paid in cash.

To get to Amish Country, and I'll assume Lancaster, Pennsylvania as a destination, I don't think you'll have any tolls once you're out of the Niagara Falls area, where any tolls should be payable in cash.

From Lancaster to Washington you are likely to have some tolls in Maryland, particularly on the tunnels through Baltimore (although these can also be avoided by taking the longer route around Baltimore on the Beltway (I-695.) In any event, all tolls should be payable in cash on this part of your route as well.

So for the specific route you've laid out, I'd decline their toll pass. Just recognize that you could get hit with exorbitant charges if you do use a cashless lane. In most states, but not all, there's a website where you could pay the toll quickly online if you needed to.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 22:03
Mentioned in this post
George Washington Bridge
George Washington Bridge
358 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Delaware
Delaware
United States
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Hotel Pennsylvania
Hotel Pennsylvania
6,793 Reviews
New York City, NY
Amish Country
Amish Country
549 Reviews
Lancaster County, PA
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC heading north - Toll roads question

Thank you so much for the very detailed answer. It has been very helpfull and I'll decline the pass.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,219 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC heading north - Toll roads question

If you want to get a "second opinion" (never a bad idea) you could post this exchange on the Road Trips Forum to see if anyone there looks at it differently.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Reply to: NYC heading north - Toll roads question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted