We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

Southampton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

Hi All,

Firstly thank you so much for clicking on my post!

I am looking for a luxury hotel that is in a great location. I am planning on 4 nights in New York for my wife's 40th Birthday. She has been banging on about going for quite some time now, she is 28 now so would be targetting August 2020 (appreciate it will be hot).

I will be flying from London, cost of hotel is not that restrictive, I can save up ;-)

I have a small itinerary, however would appreciate any good ideas for fantastic bars or restaurants, she likes Italian, I like steak :-)

Best wishes to you all, and thank you again if you do have any helpful feedback it would be really appreciated!!!

Dave

5 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

I guess you mean she is 38 now not that it matters

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

You've posted in the NY State forum. Your questions will get more attention if you post in the New York City forum

It's way early to see pricing or make reservations for 2020. but to begin researching options when you repost you might be more specific about what luxury means to you (atmosphere/location/amenities, etc.) and what part of the month you'll be coming (prices vary widely by date/demand (are you willing to spend hundreds or thousands?) There may also be hotel opening and closings in that time as well.

As to location there's no one "central" location but there are different neighborhoods that are relaxing and convenient for dining and other activities. Is this a first visit?

P.S. if she's 28 now won't she be turning 30?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,611 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

Post in the forum for New York City. You’re in New York State.

Having said that, it’s really way too early to get any meaningful information about hotels and restaurants more than 2 years away.

Old places close. New places open. A place that might be considered wonderful now might go down substantially in quality for some reason.

You also mention your wife is 28 now, but celebrating her 40th birthday in 2 years?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

You should think about a couple of things - besides the fact that prices always go up and not down - but look at August dates for this year as an example.

When you say "luxurious" just how luxury do you mean

A 4* business class hotel

A 5" regular luxury hotel

A 5* palace type luxury hotel

What amenities are you looking for? Spa? Pool (very rare in NYC) A specific view (Central Park? Cityscape?) Other?

And are you thinking $500 per night? Or $1000 per night? Or the sky's the limit?

And do you want a traditional hotel or a new, modern one?

Edited: 12 May 2018, 04:53
Southampton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the responses!

Yes I meant 38, and I will post in the other forum, my mistake sorry :-)

Best wishes

Dave

Reply to: Wife 40th Birthday - luxurious hotel ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted