We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

3 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

Hi all,

It has been more than 30 years since I have been to NYC. Back then I was only a kid following my family around. Now I will be travelling with my young family in Oct. We will be arriving via train at Pennsylvania Station at 9PM. I am thinking of staying in Brooklyn. My question is whether it is safe to travel via subway at 9-10PM at night. Once we get to the station at Brooklyn, it is a 10 mins walk to the apartment I believe.

Or should I just take an Uber from Penn Station directly to the apartment? The estimated travel times is a bit strange on Google. It gives a range of 22-55mins. Is there congestion 9PM at night?

Thanks for your advice.

Ray.

Mentioned in this post
Penn Station
Penn Station
1,370 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from USD 175.00*
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,192 Reviews
from USD 89.99*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,012 Reviews
from USD 109.95*
5 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

Brooklyn is big. What is the address of the apartment?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

Walking distance from Nostrand Av.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,579 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

Post on the New York City forum. You’re in New York State.

Your bigger issue might be the legality of the apartment for vacation rentals rather than how to get there.

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

OK - you need to understand that subletting an apt in NYC for less than 30 days is illegal. As in against the LAW! If caught your "host" can be evicted or fined starting at $1500 per night. And it is becoming more frequent or neighbors to turn in people who are doing this - so more and more people are arriving to find that their apt is not available - if it even exists.

Unless you have rented a whole house or half of a 2 family house you are putting your vacation at risk.

If you give the exact address people here can check the legal status of the building (I assume you have looked at it on google to make sure it exists and see what it looks like) and let you know if the rental can be legal.

As for getting to Nostrand Ave (assume you mean that subway station, since the street is very long) at that time of night the trip will take about an hour. I can't comment on the safety of that subway or that area of Brooklyn at night.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?

In addition to the risks that have already been described to you, there are three separate Nostrand Avenue subway stations in Brooklyn.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Reply to: Is it safe to ride the subway at night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted