We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

1 post
Save Topic
Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

Hi, i booked a hotel through Expedia and it is non- refundable. Some things came up and i will not be able to make the trip. They haven’t charged my card because it’s pay at the hotel. I’ve called for the past 7 days trying to get ahold of a manager and for some reason the manager is never there. What are my chances of being able to cancel? Or what will happen if i cancel the credit card before they process the payment?

4 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

Cancelling the card to avoid payment is fraud.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

This is why I don’t choose non-refundable rates.

In this case, you did. So...there you have it.

I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic, but you agreed to this when you booked.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

You entered into a contractual agreement to pay the non-refundable rate. You did that because it was a lower rate than what you would have paid if you selected the more flexible reservation option. But now you want the flexibility that you decided wasn't worth paying for AND you are trying to figure out a way to defraud the hotel to force them to take the financial hit for your mistake instead of paying for it yourself.

Stated in these terms, hopefully you realize that you should not be trying to find ways to avoid paying what you agreed to pay. The hotel does not have to devote time to negotiating with you about whether you can change the rules you agreed to at the time of booking, especially since it was booked through a third party but they'd be fully within their rights to refuse to change a non-refundable that was booked directly. You could have paid for a flexible rate but you didn't.

All of that said... it's unusual for a non-reufndable rate to be pay at hotel. Are you 100% sure that this is non refundable? Or maybe it was one of those rates that are refundable up to 2 weeks (or whatever) prior, then turn to non-refundable? Then that makes sense if it's now too late to cancel.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15,842 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay at the hotel (non refundable)

Exactly what is the wording of your contract? With that someone may have a suggestion. But canceling the credit card would be fraud and I assume that Expedia would track you down and charge you - possibly sue you if you don;t pay as promised.

Reply to: Pay at the hotel (non refundable)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted