We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

We arrive in NYC on Sat May 19 in the early afternoon. We were thinking of seeing Blue Man Group that night (my husbands Birthday) at 8pm. I know that it is at the Astor Place Theater and saw there is a huge Dance Festival right near there: http://www.danceparade.org/

I haven't booked tickets yet, and can go on Sunday. Would it be best to do that and avoid that area on Saturday or will it not have an impact? Thank you!

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
1. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

Are you afraid of people dancing? I can't imagine the crowds being any worse than Times Square at most times of the day, if that's what you are concerned about.

Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

Ha! No, not afraid of people dancing. I've read it attracts over 10,000 people. Starts with a parade and then ends with performances, etc. al

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,329 posts
69 reviews
129 helpful votes
3. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

You posted in the general forum for all of NY State; repost in the NY City forum to attract more readers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
4. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

NYPD usually keeps these things pretty well organized. If you don't mind some additional crowds, I don't think there's any reason to cancel your plans.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
743 posts
11 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

10,000 huh?

By comparison, the Halloween parade says it gets over a million.

Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
7. Re: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night

The Macy's parade get more than 3 million. In NYC that is a small number. Unless you have a fear of crowds - in which case NYC is not good for you - no need to worry. Just allow a few minutes extra to get from the subway to your venue.

Reply to: Avoid the area? Trying to decide on a show night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted