We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Jersey Monthly Pass for Bus and Train.

1 post

Can anybody share how the monthly pass of bus and train works in NJ.

Is there a monthly bus pass that can be used to travel on all NJ transit buses.

If yes How much does it cost?

3 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: New Jersey Monthly Pass for Bus and Train.

NJ Transit fares are zone based so your monthly ticket would be for X zones - and the train and bus zones are different. If you can't find your answers on njtransit.com I suggest calling them: (973) 275-5555 their operators tend to be quite helpful and human - not automated if you call during business hours 9am-5pm.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: New Jersey Monthly Pass for Bus and Train.

I just want to add something to Dave's excellent information. There's a distinction between intra-state and inter-state bus passes and you can always use your ticket on a trip of lesser zones. For example, I have a Zone 3 interstate (NJ-NY) pass but I can use it within NJ for a local trip

You cannot mix bus and train passes or ticket

I agree with Dave that you should call them with your specific questions but if you have more questions for us tell us your start and destination points

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,687 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: New Jersey Monthly Pass for Bus and Train.

Rail passes can be used on the bus and light rail. Bus passes and light rail passes have a zone number on them while rail passes have the to stations. As lives in NJ stated the zones are different from Philly/NY than they would be within NJ. Also some lines such as the 551 might have special zones because the bus only makes 3 stops.

Reply to: New Jersey Monthly Pass for Bus and Train.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted