We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Hi

I'm a little confused about the legality of AirBnb; I appreciate it's illegal (for most apartment types/situations) in NYC which includes Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. I was instead looking across the Hudson, in New Jersey. However I believe this is divided into different areas/cities; I read one article saying that New Jersey City had legalised it as long as you pay the 6% tourist tax, and they'd made an arrangement with AirBnb to collect this. I read that Hoboken was fairly relaxed but both Edgewater and North Bergen were looking into applying taxes or banning it entirely.

Is there somewhere I can get definite information? I'm a bit confused about how NJ is divided up too. One map shows only Bergen, Union and NJC in that area and doesn't mention Edgewater or Hoboken.

I'm looking at booking my flights in the next few days (for end of August) and would rather know which accommodation I can get before booking these and book/confirm my accommodation almost immediately after to secure it for those dates. If I book somewhere that it's currently legal, could it potentially change by August too?

I'd consider hotels but it's just me and my 10 year old daughter and we really want somewhere with a pool and a kitchen to be able to self cater rather than a hotel; the price differences may just make the trip unaffordable.

Thanks

Ross

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens
Queens
New York
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,111 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Hoboken
Hoboken
New Jersey
Edgewater
Edgewater
New Jersey
North Bergen
North Bergen
New Jersey
ICONA Avalon
ICONA Avalon
#1 of 5 hotels in Avalon
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#1 of 68 hotels in Wildwood Crest
ICONA Diamond Beach
ICONA Diamond Beach
#1 of 7 hotels in Lower Township
7 replies to this topic
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Each New Jersey municipality has its own particular rules about AirBandBs. I don't know of any site that gives a summary of them. You also have some condos that have their own rules. Hopefully, one of our DE experts will give you an answer.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Even AirBnB is apparently not interested in making the rules known to people or we wouldn't have the dozen daily threads on the NYC forum about apartment short-term rentals. They've decided to leave this up to the renter to figure out at their risk.

Mentioned in this post
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Pretty poor effort from Airbnb :(

Does anyone at least know the official city/municipality names so I can search each one and try and find their stance? Is there a set notice period/time too until a new rule will come in - i.e. might they have to give at least 2 months notice or something before changing the rules?

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Have you checked out apartment/hotels in NYC? That would be your ideal solution. Just go over to the NYC forum, give them your dates, and the need for a kitchenette and number of beds. They will be able to help you find something. Although I would forget about a pool.

Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Hudson County is the closet county in New Jersey to Manhattan, and the Wikipedia page for the county lists the official municipalities there: https:/…_New_Jersey

For travelers to NYC, you probably want to stay next to the 24 hour PATH train. Most PATH stops are in Jersey City, but Hoboken, Harrison, and Newark (just to the west of Hudson County) have a PATH station each. Some travelers stay in Weehawken, which does not have 24 hour public transportation to Manhattan, but has relatively quick ferry and bus service during regular hours.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 05:06
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Hoboken
Hoboken
New Jersey
Harrison
Harrison
New Jersey
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Hudson Hotel New York
Hudson Hotel New York
7,111 Reviews
New York City, NY
Weehawken
Weehawken
New Jersey
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

For purposes of vising NYC the best locales are North Bergen, Jersey City, Weehawken, Hoboken and also Bayonne to a lesser extent. Of those, I've only seen people do Airbnbs in the first 3 but that doesn't mean they don't also do the other two. Harrison might be OK but I would be concerned about coming back late

Mentioned in this post
North Bergen
North Bergen
New Jersey
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Weehawken
Weehawken
New Jersey
Hoboken
Hoboken
New Jersey
Bayonne
Bayonne
New Jersey
Harrison
Harrison
New Jersey
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities

Thanks everyone, some more very useful information there. Will check which municipalities the Airbnb properties I liked were in and see what official information I can find.

Reply to: Legality of AirBnb in various New Jersey cities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted