We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage trip - Oct 21st- 22nd (Sun-Mon)

Canton, Michigan
6 posts
Fall foliage trip - Oct 21st- 22nd (Sun-Mon)

Hi,

I'm visiting New Hampshire with family ( 2 adults, 2 kids under 5) on Sunday, Oct 21 for the fall foliage. My plan is to stay in Maine 20th till 21st eve and then head over to New Hampshire and leave for Michigan on 22nd noon. According to the foliage report that I see as of today, Coastal New Hampshire has peak color around Oct 21st. May be you folks can correct if this is not the case.

What would be best place(s) to see fall foliage in Coastal New Hampshire - I have picked up few places from my online search. Portsmouth, Bretton Woods, Franconia, Dover, Seabrook, Hampton Falls, North Hampton, Rye, New Castle for fall foliage(not in any particular order). Also good and budget friendly accommodation around the areas you suggest. Any attractions for kids here as well. Please share your suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Also, where I can find good lodging which is budget friendly and any good kids attractions in these areas? Any places with concerns over the parking as this weekend may be busy due to peak foliage.

2 replies to this topic
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Fall foliage trip - Oct 21st- 22nd (Sun-Mon)

Hello dolickel,

You basically want to stay and explore communities near the coast. Bretton Woods, Franconia, are in the White Mountains and will be well past color. Dover, Portsmouth, the towns along the coast on rte 1a, and inland for 25 miles should be quite nice.

A couple of things to do. Odiorne Point on 1a has the Seacoast Science Center, fun for kids with touch tanks with small ocean critters. There is a great hands on children's museum in Dover. On route 4, between Dover and Durham is Wagon Wheel Farm, notable for the old wooden wagon that sits on top of the hill (on your left heading west from Dover). Walking any of the ocean beaches with the kids is always fun.

Portsmouth is a great city to explore. Lots of cool shops and the restaurants are kid friendly. The kids will love the toys and chachkas at Macro Polo. The Friendly Toast is a fun restaurant with a unique menu and entertaining decor.

Canton, Michigan
6 posts
2. Re: Fall foliage trip - Oct 21st- 22nd (Sun-Mon)

thank you, nextstopls

Reply to: Fall foliage trip - Oct 21st- 22nd (Sun-Mon)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted