We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitefield , NH

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
Whitefield , NH

Thinking of staying here over the holidays. How quaint is it? I’m looking for small town charm. No McDonald’s or Starbucks...

6 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
315 reviews
1. Re: Whitefield , NH

Well I know there is no Starbucks, and the nearest McDonald's is in Littleton I believe. There is a Subway restaurant and a Dunkin Donuts, but those are the only chains I think. There are other restaurants in the area thought. This is a small northern community. We have driven through it and that's about all I remember. https:/…activities-attractions

Edited: 28 September 2018, 20:37
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
2. Re: Whitefield , NH

I wouldn't use the word quaint but it's definitely a small 'real' town not a touristy outdoor mall.

I can't tell you anything that google street view wouldn't do a better job of describing.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
265 reviews
3. Re: Whitefield , NH

Do you mean the Christmas holidays? You won't find 'It's a Wonderful Life' type of small town charm much anywhere these days, if that's what you mean.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Whitefield , NH

Assuming you mean Christmas, i think that, coming from Orlando, and from Florida in general any place will be quaint and real. It will be Christmas, cold, good chance of things being snow covered, Christmas lights and dark nights on roads that wind around the hills and valleys.

Whitefield is pretty far north. How did you choose this town for your stay? Not that it is a bad choice, just less typical. In any event there are a lot of small towns scattered around the north country, and a few small cities (15,000 people or less) Littleton, Berlin, Gorham. You may encounter the scattered fast food or chain store. But the landscape, really from north of Concord to the Canadian border, is dominated by local commerce and a scattering of chains and small box plazas in the more centralized areas. Nothing like the miles of national and regional retail that dominates certain roads in Florida and other states. Mostly of that in NH is in the southern tier from Concord to Manchester and Nashua, Manchester to Salem, and Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, ME down rte1 into Mass.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Whitefield , NH

By the way, the North Country in NH refers to the part of the state north of the White Mountains. Very rural, spread out and sparsely populated, very beautiful and under visited even by folks in NH. You will find quaint, authentic beauty.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
6. Re: Whitefield , NH

I was on Airbnb actually...trying to decide between Littleton, Bethlehem and Whitefield.. now Jackson and Conway..

Reply to: Whitefield , NH
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted