We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covered bridge day trip

Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Covered bridge day trip

We are planning a day drive from Boston on Friday October 5. I have decided to focus on seeing and getting cool pictures of covered bridges, which is something we don't have anywhere near Utah. First stop, Parker's Maple Barn for breakfast then to Swanzey for covered bridges (any cool stops along that path?) and then to Winchester for the Ashuelot covered bridge and back to Boston via route 2. I am hoping to see small quaint towns and hopefully some fall colors. We have about 8 hours and google maps says this is just over 4 hours of drive time. Any thoughts or suggestions about this plan? Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum! I have been reading and reading...trying to decide...

4 replies to this topic
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Covered bridge day trip

Lots of nice towns in this corner of NH - Peterborough, Hancock, Harrisville, Francistown, Dublin, West Swanzey, to name a few. If you want to drive a little further, in Walpole there is a beautiful mountaintop winery, and a cheese making dairy farm along the river. A bit further up north along the Connecticut river is the Cornish-Windsor covered bridge, a great photo op, and the longest covered bridge in the USA.

Edited: 09 September 2018, 06:40
Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Covered bridge day trip

Thanks! I would like to see the Cornish bridge, will have to see if we have enough time.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,171 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Covered bridge day trip

Double whatever map app driving times you find on line.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Covered bridge day trip

There is a nice covered bridge in Greenfield, NH. As you come across 101 toward Keene, take route 31 north through Wilton and Lyndeborough into Greenfield. In Greenfield go straight on 136 (31 turns right). About a 1/4 mile out of town, 136 curves to the left, but you should see signs to stay straight to Greenfield State Park. Stay straight. This is Forest Road. It will take you across the covered bridge (about a mile or two) and continue back out to rte 202, about 3 or 4 miles north of Peterborough where you can get back onto 101 (turn left on 202). Alternately, you can take Forest Road straight into Hancock, a picturesque small town (lunch at Fiddleheads?). Then take rte 137, a winding 3 to 4 miles back to 101 in Dublin. Either way, you will be back on track for your route to Swanzey. This is not a huge detour won't set you back more than a half hour.

The Cornish-Windsor bridge is a great destination, too. Longest covered bridge in north America. When you get to Cornish, the St. Gaudens National Historic Site is excellent, if you have art interests. Allow an hour or two to enjoy the home, studio and grounds, which i realize may not be in the cards for your long driving tour day. One quick thing you can do is to continue up rte 12A to Pennfield where the Town Hall has a stage set designed and painted by the artist Maxfield Parrish. Ask someone at the library to show it to you. They love showing it off. It is pretty special.

Reply to: Covered bridge day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted