We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Find A Moose!

NH
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
9 reviews
Where to Find A Moose!

This is a question that comes up a lot. The answer is "you never know." This is an article that was on our local NH news station WMUR-TV.

Enjoy! ~~~allfins ><>

wmur.com/article/…20495408

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
1. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

In 40 plus years of hiking, fishing, driving roads and just generally being outdoors where there could be a moose I had never seen one.

Where do I first see one? Crossing the Moosilauke Hwy right at a Moose Crossing sign. I don't think the word Moosilauke has anything to to with moose but still and right at a frigging moose crossing sign after decades of never seeing them anywhere.

NH
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

That reminds me of a funny question. Someone supposedly asked: "Why on earth do they put "moose crossings" on main highways in NH!?!??" ~~~allfins ><>

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
3. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

I'm not one of them, but enough people must have seen a moose in NW Massachusetts, because some time after Google took this picture (2012) a Moose Crossing sign went up in this general area: https://goo.gl/maps/vXUTp9wRFr42

Like so many things, it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

Hank, my experience was the same.

Many years camping and driving in NH and never saw a moose. I've seen the "moose crossing" signs and I've seen lots of hoof prints in the deep snow heading across the highway and into the woods. We used to camp a lot at White Ledge right on Rt 16. There's a moose crossing sign there and a lake across the street. We heard rumor of moose in the campground several times but never saw one.

Then one morning I got up early to take photos of the sunrise. I was headed east on the Kanc and came around a corner and there was a moose standing not more than 30-40 ft off the road, knee deep in a marsh, munching breakfast. I pulled over and watched her for 15 minutes before someone else came along and pulled over spooking her.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
5. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

That's funny.

I had a similar experience with bears. Had never seen one despite seeing tracks all the time when hiking or fishing and friends who pretty much did the same things I did seeing them all the time. Back in the day my parents would even see them in our back yard frequently but I never seemed to be home then.

Then a couple summers ago I saw at least 10 of them over the course of a few months. Every single one I saw crossing the road when I was on a bike ride.

Still on my 'wish list' is a Bobcat.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
6. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

oh, I have seen a Mountain Lion is NH though. I'm sure of it.

Their existence in NH is controversial so I want to mention for reference that I have never seen a UFO.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,199 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

Yeah, same thing w/bears, of course this is down here in north GA. I had seen a bear crossing the road at a distance. Never anything more. Then one morning I was up in the Blue Ridge Mtns sitting along a mountain road and I heard this strange "crying" down in the gully. I watched this bear cub (good size) running back and forth for a long while before he ran off for good. I assumed that he had been of age to be abandoned by the mother. I chose not to look closer, in case that wasn't the case w/the Mom.

My best bear story? I was out hiking w/my son one cold Oct morning down here. We didn't see a bear, BUT, I stepped over a log across the path, looked down and there was a steaming pile of skat right at my feet. I let him have one quick look and we beat feet back to the car.

Never seen a bob cat or mountain lion, sadly lots of wild boars/feral hogs, deer, fox and turkey galore. FWIW, I've seen a UFO.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
8. Re: Where to Find A Moose!

to quote myself: "my parents would even see them in our back yard frequently but I never seemed to be home then."

That's no longer a true statement. I saw one last night walking right across the back lawn. I was inside and it came right up the window I was looking though. It was quit thrilling.

The nearest neighbor says he saw it too and it knocked down a fence and trashed his bird feeders.

Reply to: Where to Find A Moose!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted