We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 1 or 61?

Norman, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Topic
Highway 1 or 61?

We will be traveling from Memphis to Louisiana in June. We love history, plantations, flea markets, quaint towns, eating local food (no chains), views of the Mississippi and things like that. It's just my husband and me so there will be no kids to worry about entertaining. Should we take highway 1 or 61?

Thanks for any help or info y'all!!

Oferta especial
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,066 Reviews
from USD 44.50*
USD 48.00
Oferta especial
Swamp and Bayou Sightseeing Tour with...
528 Reviews
from USD 47.40*
USD 51.00
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Brunch Cruise...
251 Reviews
from USD 31.50*
13 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
1,735 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

I have only done small sections of Hwy 1, in northern MS, so cannot comment on much of it.

We usually take Hwy 61,and enjoy it. A few times, we have taken Hwy 65, but mostly from AR - it’s nice around Lake Village, but lots of flat Farm land.

One subscriber, PeachBelle, knows that general area well, so probably has thoughts on Hwy 1.

If she does not see this thread, and comment, maybe post to the very active Road Trips Forum, where she is a DE.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Norman, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,874 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

Hwy 61 does not go down MS river but thru central MS in northern part. It goes thru Clarksdale which is known for music then ventures along MS river starting near Vicksburg and south to Natchez.

Vicksburg has Civil war site and great food at 10 South, Walnut hill and Rusty's.

Then on to Natchez for beautiful plantations. Cross over MS river into LA for St. Francisville for more plantations and go to Feriday for a working slave plantation called Frogmore.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
1,735 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

PeachBelle,

I think you mean Hwy 1, in the opening sentence, which only goes for maybe 100 miles, if that far, before joining Hwy 61. Tunica - Rosedale - Greenville - Rolling Fork.

I’ve only ever done it around Rosedale and Greenville, and that was rather long ago.

Hunt

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,874 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

Hwy 1 goes close to MS river north of Clarksdale and continues south toward Vicksburg.

Hwy 61 goes close to MS river near Memphis then goes inland toward Clarksdale. Then Hwy 61 is close to MS river once you get to Vicksburg. But it is not really on the river except in Natchez and Vicksburg.

Boy I must be confused!! Hope I cleared it up.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
1,735 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

PeachBelle,

I think that you stated it well.

That little section of Hwy 1 does follow the River, in its area, but then combines with Hwy 61 (The Great River Road), a bit to the South.

An alternate, but only for a bit.

Hunt

Norman, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

Thank you for your help! We can't wait!

Norman, Oklahoma
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

Thanks!

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
211 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

I live in MS and have been on Hwy 1 a few times. It is scenic, but does not give a view of the river for the whole duration. There are ox bow lakes, streams, etc. that line a portion of the highway and provide a nice view. I don't recall any specific antique shops or eating places on Highway 1. It's a lot of small lake front homes. Highway 61 is a great drive for all things you asked about. You will not always be on the river and at some points you may think you are in a third world country. But there are many things worth seeing. You could probably mix it up between the two roads. I love google maps. If you get on there and zoom in on satellite view, it will show you the portions of highway 1 that are near the river and/or lakes and you can look at that decide which will give you the scenery you want. I believe the food, museums, antique shops, etc will be best found on 61.

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
211 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highway 1 or 61?

If you travel down 61, be sure to veer off the beaten path just a little to see the Peter's Pottery in Mound Bayou. Its about 100 miles south of Memphis just a few minutes off highway 61. That area is full of crawfish, soul food, and all foods that will make you feel like you've experienced the deep south. Eat at Crawdad's in Merigold, MS. Those two places are only 3 miles or so apart. It has been a few years since I have been there, but it was delicious on my last visit. Its a little less than 20 minutes from highway 61 over to the BB King Museum in Indianola. Those would all be fun places to stop for an hour or so. Hope this helps.

http://www.peters-pottery.net

http://bbkingmuseum.org/

Reply to: Highway 1 or 61?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted