We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oscoda

Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Oscoda

We will be traveling by car to the Oscoda, MI area in July. It is on the eastern side of the state on Lake Huron. Anyone have any recommendations of what to see and do? We may try to catch the Ford Presidential Museum in Grand Rapids either on the way there or on the way home. Other than that, we are open to ideas of what to see. We may be in the Flint/Detroit area for a few days, too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oscoda

Well, that's a pretty wide gap. I take it you have not secured your plans yet. River Road with a little jog and you can see overlooks all the way just west of Mio, MI. And of course, tour the lighthouse in East Twas, MI.

Frankenmuth, MI is very popular and known for the largest Christmas store in the world i believe. Henry Ford Museumn in Dearborn. Fredrick Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, MI. Some top places in the state are Empire, MI.. (sleeping bear dunes) Mackinac Island, MI.. and Pictured Rocks in Munising, MI.

Knowing your time frame, interests, and how many miles you wish to drive will make a huge difference of our segestions.

Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oscoda

Thanks so very much for your suggestions. We have previously been to the Traverse City area and Mackinac. There is supposedly some island off of Port Austin that is suppose to be cool to kayak to...know anything about that? Have you been to the presidential museum? We are also thinking about driving to Niagara Falls from Detroit...ever do that? We will be at a family reunion at a resort near Oscoda on Lake Huron for three nights...but will have some free time the rest of the week. We have also been to the dunes. Thanks again for your recommendations!

Edited: 13 May 2018, 12:05
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oscoda

We have also been to the dunes.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 12:06
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
957 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oscoda

Kayak to Turnip Rock near Port Austin

Make sure it isn't a windy day!

Also check lout the boat trip to Charity Island in Saginaw Bay

Southeast, Michigan
Level Contributor
494 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oscoda

In Oscoda, Lumberman’s monument is an interesting place to check out. There are also places to canoe the AuSable River.

At the tip of the thumb, Port Austin and Caseville are pretty spots. The drive between the two is along the water and very scenic. You can swim in Caseville in a sandy beach because of the sand bars. Far less rocks in the water, which is atypical for Lake Huron. There is a township beach, and 2 pretty state parks heading east toward Port Austin-Albert E Sleeper and Crescent Beach, along with several smaller beach and picnic parks on the water. Turnip Rock is the formation that people kayak to near Port Austin.

If you continue along the water (not heading south on M-53), south east, you can visit Port Hope where there is a historical Museum/Village- Huron City along M-25 and nearby Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse. Both are great locations for those into Maritime History. Don’t miss the turn toward Grindstone City and a stop at the General Store for the thumb’s largest ice cream cone.

Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oscoda

Wow...thanks for all the suggestions that only a local would know...can also pass on to my family attending our family reunion!!!!

Level Contributor
2,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oscoda

Some fantastic insight above that i could of never gave. Also consider http://huroncounty.com/boat-trips-rentals/ for Turnip Rock. I have been to NF one time. It is about three hours from Port Huron and probably around the same from Detroit. You do not want to miss these falls for sure. Not the cheapest tours but things like the maid of the mist are once in a life time oppertunities. Google search River Road National Scenic Byway and Au Sabble River Mio Ranger District as well is Mio, MI overlook for all the overlooks to Mio. The Ford Museum was redone not many years ago (two I believe) and I believe they did an awesome job. Plan on 2-3 hours. Not a huge museum but plenty of movies to watch. I live in Grand Rapids so feel free to ask about anything in that area. Depending where you happen to be at night if you get a chance to see Grand Haven musical fountain or Jackson, MI cascades you certainly should. Also note the Grand Rapids public museum is right across the street. The two museums make a great combo. :-)

Edited: 14 May 2018, 14:53
Reply to: Oscoda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted