We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Looking to see if this itinerary makes sense- and what are must see/do things in the area?

So far we have the following scheduled:

July 2,3- camp @ Wilderness State Park

July 4th- camp @ Burt Lake State Park - go to Harbor Springs to watch fireworks/parade

July 5th&6th ? (Thinking to camp somewhere in the Munising/Marquette area)

July 7th&8th: camp @ Union Bay campground in Porcupine Mountains

July 9th,10th,11th,12th?

-need to make it back to CO by the 13th so still planning where to drive though on the way back)

Where are good camping areas for us with our RV in the Munising/Marquette area? Is one area better than the other?

Places to go / things to see suggestions would be greatly appreciated for the time we are in :

-Wilderness state park

-Muninsing/Marquette area

-Porcupine Mountains

6 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
327 reviews
1. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

your itinerary is all convoluted.... we really need to rework it.......

no sense in going up to wilderness, then pulling up stakes and backtracking to burt lake...... personally, i would just stay at wilderness the entire time, and assuming you have a 5th wheel, or some sort of wheels to get around locally, you can do day trips to mack island, harbor springs etc..... never been to burt lake, but we camped at wilderness a coupla summers ago and loved it----right on the BIG lake, and pretty huge for midwest standards.... whatever the case, i would make reservations NOW, as you know, that will be a busy week....

other may know better, but if you have a big rig, i'm not sure about camping at pictured rocks [national park].... there are a few township campgrounds in the area, but google is your friend.... i definitely recommend taking a shoreline cruise, and if you're not running a big rig, i recommend taking the very scenic route H-58 west to munising....... and i would plan on 3 days camping in that area, instead of 2......

definitely stop in marquette. check out the lakekenland sculpture park east of town..... maybe take a jaunt up to big bay....

as for the porkies, spend another night or 2 there.... again, you can take day trips to the keewauna peninsula, and into the porkies and do day hikes.... but since you need to be in CO by the 13th, you'll need to leave da yoop by the 11th, at the latest, to make it out there in time..... and your quickest route would probably be to take US-2 west and pick up I-35 in duluth, then west on I-80 or 70..... but, if you have time, it might be worthwhile to explore the apostle islands area on your way to duluth, or stop in duluth itself.....

Edited: 11 May 2018, 00:16
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Thanks StrangeTipper for the suggestions!

The reason we have to move to Burt Lake is because I was only about to get a reservation at Wilderness for the 2nd and 3rd- unfortunately I was already too late booking .

We just got finished with our wedding and I realized I needed to get on this planning as it was sneaking up on us quick- also just realized it was going to be 4th of July as we were passing through there....

So 2 nights in wilderness it was. And my husband loves fireworks and from what I read the Harbor Springs/Petoskey display is nice. Which is why we moved to Burt Lake, it was the only campsite in the area with availability that would fit us.

We have a 36 ft trailer we will be pulling, so we will need to setup camp somewhere and then unhitch to take the truck and go explore pictured rock and the other notables in the area.

I am searching campsites now and there are several options (maybe Bay Furnace? but that is non-reservable, first come/first serve) .

I'm not sure which would be best for us to home base in either Munising or Marquette for those 2 nights (July 5th and 6th). Campsite suggestions if you have?

For the Porkies we are camping the night of the 7th and 8th, reserved at Union Bay Campground.

July 9th we will drive though Duluth and camp south of Minneapolis in a campsite, thinking Nerstrand Big Woods.

July 10th we will drive wet to South Dakota and camp in the Black Hills, to check out Badlands and Custer State Park, Black Hills area.

July 12th we will drive down towards Colorado.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
327 reviews
3. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

if you can find a campground near munising, that would be my choice.... marquette is a good half hour/45 minutes to pictured rocks, so you might find yourselves backtracking a lot in those 2-3 days....

and if possible why not try to stay at burt lake the entire time, instead of moving around....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
52 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Ok, most I found were first come first served- but I was able to book a spot at AuTrain Lake Campground. seems like a good location to explore the area from?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
327 reviews
5. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Au train is a nice area—-beautiful lake superior beach right there too....

Edited: 11 May 2018, 13:41
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
1,004 reviews
6. Re: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?

Au Train is nice. As for things to do

Tahquammenon Falls after you cross over the Mackinac Bridge

Google Pictured Rocks website from the National Park Service

The drive through Pictured Rocks on H-58 between Munising and Grand Marais is awesome. Lot of hiking available in Pictured Rocks. We like the trail to Chapel Rock

Schedule the boat tour to Pictured Rocks but target the boat that is the last one of the night. Sunset will be after 9 PM when you're there and the sun is better positioned for better lighting on Pictured Rocks

Porcupine Mountains have a lot of hiking and overlooks

Check out Black River Falls as you leave Michigan going towards Wisconsin. Lot of waterfalls

Reply to: Must see in Munising/Marquette/Porcupine area- Itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted