We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norton

Belfast
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Norton

Hi There,

Just a quick question. My husband and I are considering flying into Providence (cheap flights), hiring a car from the airport and staying in Norton for a few nights before driving down to NYC, dropping off the car, having a few days there and flying home.

The main reason for Norton is that we want to go to a PGA golf tournament held there. I've found a decent Air BnB in the area and just want to ask about how Norton works as a base. We thought we could do a day or two in Boston (commuter train?), a day at the golf and maybe a day at Martha's Vineyard and/or hiking/national park. Does that all sounds fairly reasonable and/or doable from that location?

Thanks in advance!

Hil

12 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norton

Norton could work for a day trip into Boston by commuter rail or car.

For hiking in a National Park, I don’t think that is doable as a day trip from Boston. There are National Parks within driving distance, such as Salem, Minuteman National Park and Lowell. However, Salem and Lowell are urban historical parks rather than forest. Minuteman is also a historical park but in a suburban wooded setting so you can do long walks there through woods, but it isn’t really hiking.

If you are thinking Hiking as in Mountains and forests you would have to drive up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire (about a 3 hour drive from Norton) or you could do Acadia National Park in Maine (about 7 hour drive), but need to stay overnight.

Belfast
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norton

Thanks so much for the response, I really appreciate it. We actually did Acadia for a few nights last July and absolutely loved it!! Beautiful ☺️

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norton

If Norton is only one day's activity out of many, I think you should consider staying elsewhere. I expect Norton would be overpriced that week due to the tourney.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norton

It wouldn't be my idea of a good time. The commuter rail is also pretty expensive. IF you were going to stay in Norton I'd just drive into the city and pay to park. It's probably the same money and then you have the flexibility of coming and going as you please.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Norton

Yes I think it's reasonable and actually a pretty good location for someone who wants to see Boston and the Cape from a base.

Did you mean Cape Cod National Seashore? I'm not aware of any national 'parks' that would make sense.

Belfast
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norton

Thanks guys. Great to get your thoughts.

Norton is actually really cheap that week; c. €55 a night for a room from Air BnB. I just thought it logistically made sense and was a way of keeping costs down and from having to stay a night here or there.

In terms of National Parks, I didn’t know of one around there. We love hiking and have hiked all over in the States. There just always seems to be so many beautiful places for walks I was hoping Massachusetts would be the same.

Belfast
Level Contributor
190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norton

Northern Traveller, can you suggest somewhere else that might be more suitable?

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,665 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norton

Not at a better price than that! But I'd stay in Boston if my goal was to visit Boston

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norton

You could look at the Berkshires in western MA as a place to do some hikes.

Also, I just checked the tournament out of curiousity and it is over Labor Day weekend, which is a 3 day weekend and the unofficial "end of summer"; a very busy time for people to visit mountains and the coast.

I think the problem is that you are wanting to do beautiful hikes using Norton as a base. Norton is in eastern MA, which is a very heavily popiulated part of the state. There just aren't the acres of undeveloped land here that are needed for hiking. Consider spending a couple nights in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine to spend hiking in a beautiful place. Or, as Hank suggested above, the Cape Cod National Seashore is a beautiful place to enjoy coastal beach walks. If you do decide to go to the Cape ior to MV, try to avoid the Friday through the Monday of Labor Day weekend; it will be very busy and lots of traffic getting on the Cape on Friday and getting off on Monday.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 07:38
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norton

There's Blue Hills with walking trails.

Reply to: Norton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted