We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a 6 day trip to NE for fall foliage. We will be landing in Boston on 14th early morning and will leave on 20th October. We would like to spend the last 2 days in Boston for sight seeing...so 4 days for fall foliage. We are interested in sight-seeing, short - Med trails. Also prefer to stay in B&B.

Don't mind hopping between places, just need a round trip back to Boston.

Appreciate your suggestions,

Thanks

SVK

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
664 Reviews
from USD 94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
563 Reviews
from USD 55.65*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,090 Reviews
from USD 41.95*
8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

For those 4 days will you have a car?

How flexible are you regarding which way you'll go? I ask because where the colors were last October 16th may not be where they are this coming October 16th

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

When you arrive on the 14th, pick up your car at the airport and head immediately up to the White Mtns of NH. It's about a 2.5 hr drive. Stay for 2 or 3 nights in Lincoln or N.Conway or Jackson or somewhere in between. Most places may require a 2 or 3 night stay. I'd then head over to Portland for the night or somewhere south along the coast (Ogunquit, Portsmouth, Newburyport or Cape Ann in Mass (Rockport, Gloucester, thereabouts).

"Peak" foliage will be winding down in the NH Mtns but still brilliant. Portland and points south will probably be at "peak" as will Boston by the time you get there. If the foliage is weaker in the White Mtns, it should be a little better around the south side of the Mtns on the north end of Lake Winnepeasukee. Laconia, Meredith, Center Harbor are all options to stay in. Castle in the Clouds is near this area one of my favorite places and no doubt still peak. These areas are close enough to day trip down from Lincoln/N.Conway/etc...

When you get back to Boston, dump the car at the airport and taxi over to a hotel in town. Stay in town. Boston is brilliant in the foliage!!! Easy to walk or take public transport.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Another option would be to split your time between Maine and Boston. Plan to stay 2 or 3 nights in Portland or nearby. It's an easy and quick 1.5 hr drive over to the White Mtns from Portland, so a good day trip.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Thank you for your response. I will be renting a car for the trip. I will check out White Mountains and Portland and will come back with any questions. Appreciate your help.

SVK

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Hi, Based on your suggestions, this is my initial itinerary. Can you let me know if this is aggressive? Don't mind driving 2-3 hours with stops everyday. Am I missing any must see places? Main goal is see fall foliage, small quaint towns with shopping...not keen on Museums.

Day 0 Arriving in Boston at Midnight. Pick the car and head to Newburyport. Any other place to consider for stay?

Day 1 Leave Newburyport and head towards Jackson/N. Conway. Stay either in Jackson or N.Conway

Visit in and around Jackson plus drive up to Bretton Woods

Day 2 Take Hwy 112 to Franconia State Park via Lincoln, return through Crawford Notch state park (loop). Is it lot of driving?

Day 3 Drive up to the Lakes region up to Moultonborough with the stay in Portland. Doable?

Day 4 Check Portland and drive down to Boston. Check places along the way(?). Drop the car in the airport. Stay in Boston

Day 5 Stay in Boston

Day 6 Stay in Boston

Day 7 Fly out….

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

It sounds doable except for the Newburyport stayafter your very late arrival. I do not think there are any hotels in Newburyport and not sure B&B hosts want to wait up for you ... I would try to find a chain hotel very close to the airport (Lin East Boston, Revere, or Chelsea or on route 1 in Saugus, Peabody, or Danvers.

Happy Planning!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

It might even be better to just stay at the airport that arrival night, then pickup your rental car the next morning - airport hotels are expensive, but you'd save a day of car rental.

Day 2 - the White Mountains 'loop' is easy to do in 1 day if yo udon't make a lot of over-long stops. I'm willing to wager that the north side of the mountains will be getting bare and/or very brown (no colors) by that date, though.

The Lakes region is south ('down') from the White Mountains, you might consider doing that trip as a day trip, and staying one more night in Jackson/North Conway, as it's longer to Portland from there than the Whites.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance

Thank You for your response fflbrgst & forgotmypword. I will check hotels in or near the airport.

Question regarding the stay - I know the foliage is unpredictable every year, however based on your past experience, should I still consider staying near white mountains (you mentioned it will be bare in the north) or should I stay near the lakes. Are there other places that will be peaking that I should consider?

Thanks

SVK

Reply to: Fall Foliage trip in mid-October - need guidance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted