We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Chilli Crab??

Sydney
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Topic
Singapore Chilli Crab??

I know it is Hawaii not Singapore,

But is there any where I can get a good chilli crab.

I have not found a good one in aus yet,

I imagine the seafood would be really good over there

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Sue! None around Sydney? I love the chilli mud crab from Claudio's at the Sydney Fish Markets (my 2nd home). Sitting down on the wharf, fighting off the seagulls and flies is half the fun! That place and Harry's, but the relaxed feeling of the markets is best for making a mess of yourself. Try the Yum Cha restaurant upstairs (also do to order).

Oops, sorry. We're in Hawaii. Amberloo! Heeeelp!

Sydney
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Harleynut.

Believe this or not, I have never been to the Sydney fish markets.

I've tried to get hubby to go, but he says its too crowded.

I will definety get him to go when we get back.

Now back to Hawaii

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,866 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Aloha,

Sue, almost all eating crab is flown in here, just FYI. I'm not aware of any places on Maui that serve crab like you've described--but as Harley says, we need Amberloo in on this one. If it's served anywhere, it would be Oahu!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Sorry Sue. I searched what I could and found nothing on any on-line menu at the more popular restaurants.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

I've never had "Singapore Chili Crab"....

But there are a few Chinese places in Honolulu that serve a "Garlic Chili Crab".

The most famous is "Harbor Village" in the Koko Marina Shopping Center in Hawaii Kai, about 10 miles east of Waikiki. It is their signature dish and very, very, very tasty. They have a nice picture of it on Yelp.

yelp.com/biz/harbor-village-cuisine-honolulu

Luck Fung Restaurant in Aina Haina ( a couple miles before Hawaii Kai) also serves up a well-known Garlic Chili Crab dish. It is supposed to be great, but I have never eaten there.

I may have to give it a shot after reading this thread.

yelp.com/biz/lung-fung-chinese-restaurant-ho…

I'll check out the menus at some joints in Chinatown over the next couple of days and see what turns up. It's not really a lunch time dish (when I eat 80% of my meals in Chinatown) so not something I have looked for in the past.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 08:12
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Sounds yummy!

That said, the best places to eat crab are where they actually fish crab, which is not here. I used to live where they sold live Dungeness crabs from sidewalk stands. That was some great crab.

Stores here mostly sell Alaskan KIng Crab, but as sw said, whatever it is will be frozen. This dish sounds tasty though. I'm hungry now.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

The crab served in such a dish in a Chinese restaurant.....

Will absolutely, positively be a live animal just prior to cooking.

One thing Chinese chefs require is total freshness of their meats whenever possible.

That is the only reason there is still a pork slaughterhouse on Oahu...to provide fresh pig for the Chinese joints.

You can even buy your own live crab, lobsters, abalone, frogs, etc. at many Chinatown markets.

A frozen whole crab would be inedible once defrosted.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

So do they import them or farm raise them here?

Hard-shelled Crabs require colder waters than our ocean here, fairly sure ...

Puget Sound was where we had them regularly, and Fort Bragg's Noyo Harbor in Northern California was another.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,866 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Aloha,

Actually, I said the crab would be flown in.......I didn't mean it would all be frozen.

I've seen many restaurants that have tanks which are temp regulated, but I bet Amberloo knows waaaaay more than I do about it!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,516 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Chilli Crab??

Maybe Ming's Chinese Restaurant in Kalihi or Yakiniku Seoul (Korean chili crab).

And with modern freezing techniques, in a blind taste test of "fresh" vs "frozen" seafood, a panel of top chefs selected the frozen seafood as being the best, freshest tasting.